Through Me

"Hello, my raven."

Livana looked at her mom's gorgeous face and made a gurgling noise. Nyx smiled and cradled Livana in her arms.

"Aren't you a lively one," she said. "Are you ready to go see your father?"

"Bahamagu," Livana babbled in response.

Nyx pressed her cold finger to her nose, earning a squeal from the baby.

-

"Je suis plus rapide que toi!" I'm faster than you! Livana laughed as she ran around her home in France.

"Je le sais! J'ai de vieux os!" I know! I have old bones! Her father, Phillipe chased after her at a much slower pace. He took a breather, and slowly sat on their couch, clutching his chest.

Livana noticed his discomfort and stopped her antics. She came over to his side and fornwed. "Voulez-vous votre médicament?" Do you want your medicine?

"Non, non," No, no. Phillipe held up his hands and sighed. He looked at his daughter and smiled, trying to hide his pain. But Livana saw it in his eyes. "Tu es une fille spéciale." You are a special girl.

Livana smiled and held his hand. "Je t'aime, Papa."

-

"Je suis désolé, Livana." I'm sorry, Livana. Phillipe held up his hands, trying to calm the girl.

"Vous n'êtes pas désolé!" You are not sorry! "Maman n'est pas désolée" Mom is not sorry! Livana screamed in rage, tears falling down her face. "Tout le monde a une maman sauf moi!" Everyone has a mom except me!

"Tu as une maman, Elle ne peut tout simplement pas être avec nous." You have a mom, she just can't be with us. Phillipe moved to touch Livana, but she smacked his hand away.

"Non, elle ne veut tout simplement pas de moi!" No, she just doesn't want me! "Et tu m'as fait faire toutes ces conneries stupides! Pas d'école, pas d'amis, pas de voyages et tu ne me diras même pas qui elle était!" And you made me do all this stupid crap! No school, no friends, no trips, and you won't even tell me who she was! Livana collapsed to her knees, bawling into her hands.

Phillipe bent down and wrapped his arms around the young girl. "Je suis désolé, mon corbeau." I am sorry, my crow.

"Pourquoi maman ne veut pas de moi?" Why doesn't mom not want me? Livana sobbed into her father's chest.

-

Following the sound of crying, Livana made her way to her father's room. She peeked her head inside, and found her father sitting at the edge of his bed. In his hands, he held a letter that shook in his trembling hands.

"Papa?" Livana asked.

Phillipe wiped his face and put the letter away. "Avez-vous besoin de quelque chose?" Do you need something?

Livana opened the door and stepped in. "Que lisiez-vous?" What were you reading?

"Une lettre de la femme de mon ami. Il est mort et bientôt elle le sera aussi." A letter from my friend's wife. He has passed away, and soon she will, too. Phillipe wiped his tears again and leaned forward. "Maintenant je ne sais pas où tu iras." Now I don't know where you will go.

"Pourquoi vais-je?" Why am I going? Livana sniffled and jumped onto the bed with her father.

"Mon ami était censé prendre soin de toi s'il arrivait quelque chose." My friend was supposed to take care of you if anything happened. Phillipe shook his head and began to cry again.