Leo Can't Kiss

Aphros looked like his brother, except he was blue instead of green and much, much bigger. He had Arnold-as-Terminator abs and arms, and a square, brutish head. A huge Conan-approved sword was strapped across his back. Even his hair was bigger-a massive globe of blue-black frizz so thick that his lobster-claw horns appeared to be drowning as they tried to swim their way to the surface.

"Is that why they named you Aphros?" Leo asked as they glided down the path from the cave. "Because of the Afro?"

Aphros scowled. "What do you mean?"

"Nothing," Leo said quickly. At least he would never have trouble remembering which fish dude was which. "So what are you guys, exactly?"

"Ichthyocentaurs," Aphros said, like it was a question he was tired of answering.

"Uh, icky what?"

"Fish centaurs. We are the half brothers of Chiron."

"Oh, he's a friend of mine!"

Aphros narrowed his eyes. "The one called Hazel told us this, but we will determine the truth. Come."

Leo didn't like the sound of 'determine the truth'. It made him think of torture racks and red-hot pokers.

He followed the fish centaur through a massive forest of kelp. Leo could've darted to one side with Livana and gotten lost in the plants pretty easily, but he didn't try. For one thing, he figured Aphros could travel much faster in the water, and the guy might be able to shut off the magic that let Leo move and breathe. Inside or outside the cave, Leo was just as much a captive.

Also, Leo had no clue where he was.

They drifted between rows of kelp as tall as apartment buildings. The green-and-yellow plants swayed weightlessly, like columns of helium balloons. High above, Leo saw a smudge of white that might have been the sun.

He guessed that meant they'd been here overnight. Was the Argo II all right? Had it sailed on without them, or were their friends still searching?

Leo couldn't even be sure how deep they were. Plants could grow here-so not too deep, right? Still, he knew he couldn't just swim for the surface. He'd heard about people who ascended too quickly and developed nitrogen bubbles in their blood. Leo wanted to avoid carbonated blood.

They drifted along for maybe half a mile. Leo was tempted to ask where Aphros was taking him, but the big sword strapped to the centaur's back sort of discouraged conversation.

He looked to his side at Livana, who didn't look so good. Her face was apathetic, completely unnerved. But her eyes held deep resentment. Inside, she was livid, burning with anger. But Leo sensed that maybe she didn't want to be angry. Something upset her, and she was upset she felt upset, basically.

Leo touched her hand. Livana looked at him and the corners of her mouth flicked down.

Leo tilted his head. Livana shook hers and looked away. She crossed her arms.

Leo felt like an idiot. Was she mad at him? The realization hit him like a truck. She hadn't heard Leo's story about Hazel. She still thought something was going on between them.

"Oh shoot, you're still thinking about what happened above deck, with Hazel," Leo said.

Livana gave him a side glance.

"It's not what you think. I told Frank while you were still out. But...it's a long story. She was showing me something- a memory." Leo realized how stupid he sounded. Frank was easier to talk to about this because he already knew about Hazel's blackouts.