Chapter Thirty-one

The light snow had completely stopped as Jessie slammed down her house phone in haste.  She knew the storm probably had to do with the airline website and phone lines being down, but as the minutes ticked she felt she was running out of time even if the next available flight was in three days.  She would haul up in the airport bathroom for the days until her flight if it meant getting out of here in  a pinch.

As the microwave clock beamed 9:13, Jessie sighed figuring she should take two much needed aspirin and just surrender to her bed when her doorbell suddenly chimed.  

"The fun begins," Jessie groaned wishing more than anything Jordan would have grown a pair of balls and that Rob would be knocked unconscious for a few days.

Although she had no real plan on how to deal with the expected unsolicited guests, she knew save trying to sneak out the fire escape which they probably were anticipating anyway she just had to stay put until she could get help, whatever that was going to mean, or just deal with the consequences of getting out of here alone.  As tomorrow was just hours away, Jessie knew she was going to have to embrace the latter.

As anticipated, the doorbell began to ring yet again.  Jessie made her way to the window, careful not to get too close.  Interestingly, the only sight out there was an empty snow-coated street and a Crown Victoria idling near a johnny pump.  The only trace of human existence on the sidewalks was small, barely visible footprints most likely made by boots.

The doorbell rang again, this time more insistently, making Jessie more intrigued and making her way to her front door.  Her phone rang on the way there, but she shrugged it off as the music faded to permit the caller to leave a voicemail and put a finger to her intercom not saying a word.  From the other side, she heard distressed breathing.  "Jess?  Did you click on your intercom?" Lauren's worried voice inquired.  "It's me.  Please let me in."

Without hesitation, Jessie buzzed her in realizing that Lauren was probably trying to get through with her on the phone when Jessie initially ignored her doorbell the first few times.  Slowly unbolting her door, Jessie cautiously opened up not wanting Lauren's knocking or voice drawing extra attention to her co-op.  Minutes later as Lauren's visibly concerned appearance entered her hallway with her calf-length vinyl boots making only the slightest squeaking noise with every step, Jessie drew a finger to her lips.  Completely getting the picture, Lauren nodded and entered Jessie's co-op quietly.

"Is it safe to talk?" Lauren whispered once Jessie locked up yet again.

Jessie nodded before once again falling apart at the vision of a caring, familiar force.  "Lauren, I have to get out of here without anyone noticing," she said lowly between sobs.  "I know you are going to hate me after you hear the whole story, but people found out that Jessie J lives here and I don't think I'm going to be safe after tonight.  I promise to tell you everything when we're away from here."

Not knowing what else to do, Lauren pulled Jessie into her arms.  "God, Jess.  I don't think I could ever hate you," she insisted as she stroked her hair.  "On the other hand, I'm worried sick so based on what you told me in your voicemail, I quickly devised a plan.  I don't know what's going on, but you would never over-exaggerate."

Jessie broke away and studied Lauren's face.  "Lauren, you don't understand.  I haven't been completely truthful with you, Jenny...and Jenny is going to really kill me, Brendan, my family, my -" Jessie cried before Lauren squeezed her right hand.

"Shhh.  Right now, that all doesn't matter.  Your safety on the other hand does so let's get you packed and on your way to Newark," Lauren announced with determination.

Wondering how Lauren managed to get her a flight so quickly but relieved nonetheless, Jessie led Lauren to her bedroom to help her pack her winter clothes.  Given her summer clothes were done alongside any other accessories that were already packed, within fifteen minutes they were rolling Jessie's suitcases and one clothes-filled garbage bag to the front door.  "What about your toiletries?" Lauren asked as she zipped a loose compartment on Jessie's carry-on.