Legacies - II

Lizzie stood behind Oliver and Thea, holding her father's hand as he talked with his sister about something. She wasn't really listening. She was thinking about the TV show she and Micah were watching, and what was to happen next. Her dad picked her up right at a good part. But she didn't complain, she loved spending time with her dad. He left a lot, left her alone without him a lot more since they got back to his house. It was different. She didn't know if it was a good different or a bad different. But so far she wasn't really enjoying it. Her dad said that he would be with her always, and so far. Always is always. He's been pulled to a lot of meetings from her grandmother, and then being the vigilante, whatever that meant. 

But it was fine. She was mostly fine, lately, she was able to go with him. But she does know that he's been keeping her away from the Batcave. Like on the island, he knew that he kept her away from everything that was happening. She understood why, he's told her many times. It was dangerous, with scary people that he didn't want to hurt her. And she trusted him, she always had. 

The other thing that was sitting in her mind was the piano. An instrument, a really pretty one that she wanted to show her father what she knew. But he kept talking to her aunt, saying to give him a second and he'll focus on her. She didn't like that, on the island he would always be with her, with Oba and Oja he would always talk to her. Now, everyone wanted to talk with him. She knew that her father was great, but she didn't understand how it was enough to pull him away from her

"Ah, guess who I just hung up with," Grammy Moira said as she walked into the entryway with a vase of flowers and a smile on her face. Lizzie turned her head to the side questioningly. "Janice Bowen. Carter's mother."

"Oh," both siblings chuckle at the name and a smile made its way onto Oliver's face.

"Carter Bowen," Oliver says, turning to his sister. That was a name LIzzie didn't recognize. Who was he? Why did her dad say his name like that? "The perfect son."

"Is he perfect?" Moira asked her son, acting oblivious to his words.

"According to you," Oliver says. She gave him an odd look. "'Carter Bowen just won the national chess championship.' 'Carter Bowen is anchoring the debate team.'"

"I'm sure I didn't make that big of a fuss," Moira says.

"Oliver, Carter just got accepted into Harvard and Princeton," Thea starts, the two siblings share a look of amazement. Lizzie didn't know what Harvard or Princeton was, she may have been taught by ARGUS about many things, doesn't mean they told her the basics of school. Oliver made a face of fake awe to play along.

"Well, that's because Carter got a perfect score on his SATs," Oliver says.

"Now, how did he manage to study and cure cancer?" Thea asked, both now smiling.

"Alright, alright, alright. I get it. I get it," Moira says, putting her arms up in surrender. "Well, they're coming for brunch and I expect you to be there. And you too, little missy," Moira looks to Lizzie who tilted her head at her. Brunch sounded weird. 

"I have plans," Oliver says, getting more serious and he put a hand on Lizzies' head. He was trying to get out of it. 

"That's fine," Moira starts. "Brunch is tomorrow." Thea laughs at him and Oliver rolls his eyes.

"Hm," Thea says in a smug voice, "inches from a clean getaway."

"Well, you, too, Thea," Moira says. Oliver points at her.

"Snap," Oliver smiles at her. 

"Nobody says that anymore," Thea tells him.

"What?" Oliver asked her. Moira starts to walk up the stairs. "Mom. I can't actually go."