Chapter 5

A/N - Literally just a chapter ago we were at 100 reads, and now we're over 200?! Y'all are the best.

---

Dear Gloria,

That speech was amazing! You did great out there, and I'm just counting down the days till the final! Peony and I are going to watch it together. It's going to be brilliant! The challengers are crazy strong this year, but I know they don't stand a chance against you!

Sorry this is so short, just a bit busy trying to make this research trip count. Just remember, I'll always be here. No matter how far away. Just say that you need me, and I'll be there.

XO

Hop

---

"That last trainer seemed off," Gloria mumbled as the Corvigknight taxi took off. "Like he already knew what was coming." She took one last look at the slightly crumpled stationary before putting it back into her bag.

"That's the one people have been talkin' about!" Marnie exclaimed. "He-"

Bede cut her off. "His voice sounded very Galarian, but he's clearly from elsewhere. He didn't even say his name, and hid behind his jacket. He let his monstrosity of a cat do the talking."

"Incineroar, the third evolution of the Alola region's fire-type starter," Gloria announced, sending the group further into confusion. "Didn't they just get their first champion? Why come here when you could make more history at home?"

"There's been challengers from other regions before. Kabu's from Hoenn," Bede recalled, putting his phone down.

"Shut it, I'm tryin' to think." Marnie mumbled.

"Enlighten me."

"Well, he's only got the one Alolan pokemon. Well, we only know about that one. He has an Araquanid, he used it on Kabu. It could be Alolan too. If he has a box link, he could have even more Pokemon waiting in the wings. But it still doesn't explain how he'd prepared for everything in advance."

"You might be in serious trouble, Gloria. He's got pokemon for everything. Supereffective hits every time-"

"I'm well aware I have to watch my back, Bede," the Champion snapped. "Sorry."

"I deserved that," he said blandly, picking up his phone once again.

Silence fell over the trio, other than the quiet tapping of fingers on screens. They sat like that for about 10 minutes before it got too suffocating for Marnie to handle.

"So, I was thinkin' since we're going to Pier's concert later, I could dress you two up a bit," Marnie said hesitantly. "To help you both fit in a bit more, y'know?"

"Why did I agree to go again?" Bede groaned, recalling the last concert he attended. He wore a light pink turtleneck and blue jeans, a stark contrast to the colors of the Spikemuth crowd. He got pointed out and photographed at every turn, along with Gloria and Hop who arrived too late to change out of their work clothes.

"You loved it, that's why," Gloria smirked, Marnie laughing under her breath. Bede smiled softly, trying to hold back a laugh of his own. "Fine, I'll let you two play dress-up."

Marnie, smiling, worried them more. "You're going to be fabulous."

---

"I'll never understand girls," Bede muttered as he pored over Marnie's closet again. "What was it you wanted me to grab?"

"Pink creepers, white stitching!" Marnie shouted, tracing a thin strip of silver along Gloria's lashline. "That looks about done. Take a look!"

Gloria walked to the vanity mirror and smiled. The eyeliner complimented the dusting of pink eyeshadow on the outer corners of her eyes. The prominent winged black eyeliner accentuated the silver one she traced along the edge. her lips were adorned with a false lip ring.