Chapter 2

A/N took clothing inspiration and ideas from hazel0217 on tumblr. her art is absolutely amazing, 420/10 recommend.

5 Years Ago...

"Okay, Gloria, I'll be down at my house, so just come over once you're packed and we can go back to Wyndon to get you all set up," Leon called, waving as she ran off.

She had never run so fast or so hard in her life. Her mother couldn't go to Wyndon to watch in person, so she stayed home and awaited the children that lost so they could watch together. Gloria knocked on the door, but it swung open as if it wasn't closed at all. She shrugged it off, letting her pokemon out to stretch as she jogged into the living room, ready to embrace her mother and her brother. But it was empty.

She peeked into the backyard, empty. Her stomach dropped to the floor as she walked into the kitchen: empty, the kids shared bedroom: empty, and her mother's space in the attic: empty. She shook it off and assumed they had gone to the store, until she noticed a note attached to the fridge:

Gloria,

This isn't how it was supposed to happen. You were supposed to stay home, watch from a distance, and become something that way. I never should have allowed you to go with Hop and Victor. It's too late for that now. Your brother and I have left the region - I cannot tell you where, because I don't want our lives ruined again. Your things are where you left them. You won - but at what cost, Gloria? That's for you to think about now.

- Mum and Victor

Present Day

Gloria sleepily opened her eyes, and willed herself to get off the couch. The day before was spent with Hop running around Wyndon, shopping, going out for meals and snacks, and lounging around her apartment playing video games and watching tv until around 3am. She cursed herself for being so impulsive and tried to walk as quietly as she could to her room to get ready for her run. Since it was Saturday, she could afford to run a bit late. She debated skipping it, so she didn't leave him alone, but she knew he'd be out for a while so she should be fine.

She took one last look at Hop before she left, Flareon cuddled up against him for warmth. His team was scattered around the apartment, Snorlax serving as a pillow for the other pokemon. She pulled out her rotom, lifting her foot to get the cute scene around her in her daily picture. She sent it to Raihan, with the message, "Hop and friends say hi".

She returned around 7:30, after her 5-mile run, and saw everyone was still asleep. She quietly entered her bathroom, hopping on the scale for her monthly weigh-in. She was horrified- she gained 10 pounds. She took a moment to examine herself in the mirror. Her collarbones were just barely visible, her ribs and hip bones hidden from view entirely. Disgust filled her mind as she took her shower. She hummed quietly to occupy herself, before turning off the water and getting dressed. Today's outfit was a plaid green skirt layered over black leggings, with a baggy-sleeved grey shirt.

Hop was a deep sleeper, so by Gloria's calculations, he'd be asleep until noon at least. Thankfully, it took a lot to wake him, so she didn't have to make many changes to her day. She went and made their favorite breakfast from when they were kids, egg sandwiches and fruit. She barely had anything left in the fridge after all their midnight snacking, so this was one of her only options. She started, and then changed her mind. She needed to go on a diet, so now is the perfect time to start healthy eating habits. She decided to make the sandwich for Hop, and had egg whites and a little fruit for herself. 

As she went around dusting what she hadn't used in a while, her phone buzzed. She got a message from Leon, and he said "Call me once Hop wakes up". She added that to her to-do list and continued around the apartment doing some regular, quiet, cleaning. She put laundry in, and came back to the open-concept main room to watch some TV. She checked the time again, and groaned. How is it only 10:00?! By now, some of the pokemon were up and about. Her Leafeon was on the balcony running around to burn off seemingly endless energy. The apartment covered half the top floor of the building (the other half is just a green roof), with panoramic views of Galar. It had everything - a pool, a little plant-filled atrium, and space for days. Somehow, despite all of this, Gloria was bored.