Chapter 1. Houston, We Have Many, Many Problems

June 9, 2017. 12:00 PM.
Alina's POV.

"The Sokovia Accords? What is it that you're not telling me?" I ask. "What are you hiding?"

"You know our mission in Lagos?" Tony asks.

"Yeah. We saved people. More specifically, Wanda saved people."

"Well, people are scared. Scared of what could happen if we turned on the people." Steve says.

"So we scare people. Great, Hydra knows not to mess with us." I say, not seeing a downside.

"Children are scared of us. Everywhere we roam free, death and destruction follow." Tony says.

"We try to leave as much peace behind as we can! It's not a march in, cuff all the bad guys and walk out! People need to understand that in order for us to save them, a bit of destruction is in the package deal." Steve argues.

"Yes, but think of New York in 2012. D.C. in 2014. Sokovia two years ago. Lagos today. Death and destruction. That much death isn't part of the package." Tony reasons.

"You're right," I jump in, "But out of the three of us, who was trained to kill? Raised to be a killer. Out of the three of us, who has killed the most with no good reason as to why they did it? If anything, I should be kept in check. Nat doesn't kill unless she has to. I killed in cold blood. I shot my bullies in the head. I wanted to do the same to Lillia before I ran to Asgard, but I decided that it would be better to let her rot in a cell. I shot Cory Kingsley in the heart. I'm a murderer. I am the one who needs to be kept in check. If you listen to Nat we'll be ok. No restrictions or supervision needed. This is a situation where you need to keep yourself in check. 'Talk less. Smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.'"

"Are you serious?" Steve asks.

"I'm Alina. Did I accidentally mind wipe you?"

"You can do that? Huh, Peter and Happy were right. You can do magic." Tony notes.

"I'm not kidding. I have this odd feeling that something is going to happen. Something bad. Anyways, what are the Sokovia Accords?" I ask.

"It's a contract saying that whoever signs can keep working but only when deemed necessary. Whoever doesn't gets stuck in prison. Clint has decided to retire. He's been put on house arrest." Tony explains.

"The Accords is a horrible idea. If we have to wait for a country's green light, the fight will have already been lost." Steve argues.

"Who's signing?" I ask.

"Me, Peter, Vision, Natasha, Rhodey, and T'Challa. Bruce flew off and we don't know where he is. Everyone that's in space doesn't sign and everyone else here on Earth, well..." Tony starts.

"We're not signing." Steve finishes.

"Strange?"

"He's not in the Accords." Tony responds.

"I need a coffee. Don't care that I've already had one, I'm getting my second coffee." I say, walking to the kitchen.

"It's noon! How are you on your second coffee? I've had four!" Tony shouts.

I have a feeling that this won't end well. For once, I hope I'm wrong.

"After five complete reads of the Accords and my second cup of coffee, I made a decision. My family is being split in two. I was, until now, the only neutral party. People say 'listen to your head, not your heart'. I'm listening to both." I explain.

"Will you sign?" Peter asks.

"Yes. We need to be kept in check. I'm sorry, but we have to." Cue pause for dramatic effect!