Chapter 9. Family

July 15, 2017. 5:45 PM.

"Nope! Deal off! Not going to the Red Room!" I say, taking Nat's hand and walking back to our apartment.

"It's not the Red Room!" Cory says.

"And why should I believe you?! You forced me to do ballet for eight hours straight! No food, no break, just doing the same ten steps over and over and over. Give me one good reason to not snap your neck right here, right now."

"Because. You want to find your father, he's right here." Cory points to himself.

"If you're my father, explain this." I say, making a ball of water in my hand.

"Ah. I see you've gotten your powers. A little late. Still, good job. I see you've mastered them. Even better. Hello, Hermes." Cory says, looking at a man with winged tennis shoes.

"Hello! Back home? I see you have your daughter with you. Who's the other girl?" The man Cory called Hermes asks.

"Which one of us?" I ask.

"The one next to you. The blue hair made it obvious that you're his kid." He replies.

"Yes, home. Thank you." Cory says and a chariot appears.

"Woah! Slick ride!" I grin.

"Thanks?" Hermes asks.

"Everyone in. We'll arrive home in," Cory pauses tomorrow check his watch. "A half hour?"

"Eh, forty. It takes a bit to haul three people across the country." Hermes replies.

"Huh? Did you say forty minutes to get across the country?" I ask.

"Yes ma'am I did! Hold on to any and all bags, hats, and anything that could fly off. I wouldn't stick your limbs outside the chariot. Think of this as a roller coaster ride. One that takes forty minutes." Hermes says, running.

"Woah! You're fast! Wait, are you Pietro?" I ask.

"Alina, Pietro died ages ago." Nat says.

"Who's Pietro?" Cory asks.

"A friend's brother. He had super speed." I say.

"Kid, this isn't just a power from an experiment. This is all me. No chemicals, training, or serums needed. Just my genetics." Hermes says.

"Wait, are you saying..."

"Yep! Hermes, son of Zeus, at your service."

"Holy mother of Odin. So- so, you're all real? Zeus, Hera, Hades, Poseidon, Artemis, Athena, Demeter, Ares, Dionysus, Hephaestus, Apollo, Hestia, Aphrodite, Persephone, all of them? Gaia and Kronos? You're all real? Not just a myth?"

"Poseidon, this kid is smart. You sure her mom isn't Athena?" Hermes asks.

"Yes, Hermes, I'm sure. She just has a genius surrogate family." Cory says.

35 minutes later...

"Ok! Welcome home!" Hermes says, finally coming to a stop.

"Oh jeez. I feel like I'm going to throw up." I say, holding my stomach.

"If you are, aim away from the chariot." Hermes says.

"The Empire State Building." Nat smiles, looking upwards. "Huh. Why here?"

"Follow me." Cory says, getting out of the chariot and walking towards the building.

"Let's go, Nat! We've come too far to stop now!" I smile. "What's wrong?"