0 6 - Alone

And baby, for you, I would fall from grace

Just to touch your face

If you walk away

I'd beg you on my knees to stay

-Don't Blame Me, Taylor Swift

It was the following day, and Hermione couldn't resist. It was impossible to look away. She couldn't help but drink her fill of him. It wasn't her fault that he had to come into their office looking like that and expect her to not steal one—although it was more like a dozen—secretive glances. Draco's hair was perfectly gelled into place, and his sharp jawline looked like it could cut glass. His sleeves were rolled up, revealing powerful forearms. His eyes were the color of clouds that hinted at an approaching storm, cold and ominously serene. Draco wore one of his many crisp, expensive suits; this time, it was a navy blue one. The color was eerily reminiscent of the dress she had worn to work a few days ago—but surely that was a coincidence? Her gaze dropped to his various rings that glinted in the light as he turned a page in the book he had been reading for the past hour.

Hermione was instantly intrigued by the book moment she had spotted it in Draco's hands that day. His large hands covered up the title on the cover, but she could still make out the author's name. She wasn't familiar with the author, a fact many wouldn't hesitate to tease her about. Famous Hermione Granger, the Wizarding world's beloved bookworm, not knowing something about a book? She couldn't count the number of times she'd endured teasing about her obsession with reading and knowledge. Come to think of it, Draco had been responsible for many of the said taunts. Hermione frowned slightly, but she had long since moved on. She couldn't dwell on it, nothing good came from being stuck in the past.

Finally, Hermione let her curiosity get the best of her. As much as she prided herself on being able to resist temptation, she couldn't resist the prospect of discovering new books—and who knows, maybe the book he was reading would have useful information regarding the case.

"Er," she began nervously, "What are you reading?" Draco glanced up, grey eyes meeting her brown ones.

"Erotica," he replied, smirking. Hermione gasped sharply and held a random copy of the Daily Prophet in front of her face so that he couldn't see her blushing. Of course, he had to be joking. Draco wouldn't dare. Then again, he wasn't exactly the definition of a goody-two-shoes the way she was. If he was telling the truth, he was doing a remarkable job of hiding his emotions as he scanned the book's pages.

Her mind wandered down a path that screamed of danger. Surely, he couldn't be reading about his deepest fantasies on the table across from her. So close to her. Then another dangerous thought emerged. In what world would she ever be able to fulfill his deepest fantasies? That was doubtful—aside from a bit of kissing, Hermione was as inexperienced as one would assume of the resident prude of her year at Hogwarts.

Luckily, a little paper airplane—an interdepartmental memo from someone else in the Ministry—distracted Hermione from her unholy thoughts about Malfoy by landing on her desk. She almost physically hit herself in frustration. How could she be thinking about these things? She knew she shouldn't be. Her nimble fingers quickly unfolded the paper airplane, revealing a very familiar messy scrawl that brought a smile to her face.

Hey, Hermione - fancy lunch together today? I'll meet you where you get off of the lifts. I have exciting news.

-Your favorite Chosen One

Hermione chuckled softly as she read Harry's note. The sound prompted Draco to look up at her again, although she didn't notice his gaze as she scribbled out a quick note back agreeing to meet Harry.