2 0 - Nine Lives

They asked, "Do you love her to death?"

I said, "Speak of her over my grave and watch how she brings me back to life."

-Mahmoud Darwish

Saturday, December 30th, 2000

Draco woke as sunlight began streaming into his bedroom. It illuminated Hermione's face where her head was resting on his chest. As the events of the previous night began flooding back to him, a smile flickered across his lips. Sleeping with Hermione had been beyond anything he could have ever imagined, surpassed his wildest dreams. At that moment, there was nothing more beautiful than seeing Hermione Granger in his bed, curls strewn across the pillows.

A light tap at the door brought him back to reality. Draco carefully moved his arm from where it had been wrapped around her waist, then got out of bed and crossed the room. He opened the door, wincing at the creaking noise it made, to reveal Rosie standing outside.

"Rosie has brought Master Draco and Mistress Granger their breakfast!" Rosie squeaked, holding out two trays filled with hot waffles, coffee, and an assortment of berries.

"How did you—" Draco began, wondering where she got the knowledge that Hermione had come over and stayed the night.

"Master Draco's mother has told Rosie," she explained as Draco accepted the trays.

"Thank you for the breakfast," Draco said kindly. He laughed softly, realizing that Narcissa must have heard them last night. He was past the point of feeling ashamed, his mother had definitely heard him with other girls before and there was no point in being embarrassed about it. "Would you mind getting me today's copy of the Daily Prophet?"

"Rosie will fetch it right away!" she declared, Disapparating with house-elf magic. Although there probably wouldn't be anything of interest in the newspaper, he always made a point of checking it for leads that could be scattered within.

"Draco?" Hermione asked, voice thick with the remnants of sleep. He turned and walked towards the bed, breakfast trays in hand. She was sitting up, back resting on a pillow as she watched him approach.

"Rosie's made us breakfast," he said, leaning down for a quick kiss as he handed her one of the trays and rested the other one on his bedside table.

"What a sweetheart," Hermione smiled as she tore off a chunk of waffle with her teeth and began chewing.

"Master Draco, I has the Prophet!" Rosie's squeak floated through the bedroom. He walked over to her and accepted the paper, giving the elf a grateful half-smile.

"Thank you, Rosie," he said gently. "You've done a great job.

"It is a pleasure to serve Master Draco!" Rosie exclaimed passionately, bowing deeply before disappearing once more.

"Anything?" Hermione asked, nodding at the paper as she popped a blackberry into her mouth.

"Here, let's check together," Draco suggested, sitting next to her on the edge of the bed. He spread out the newspaper, eyes immediately catching on the bolded headline.

"Shit," they cursed in unison. Amanda Hopkins Found Dead, Poison Suspected, the headline screamed.

"Amanda Hopkins is—" Hermione started.

"—Muggle-born," he finished, rising from the bed to pace back and forth across his room. "That's nine murders, with one to go. A grand finale, if you will,"

"We have to get to the Ministry," Hermione said urgently, stripping off the shirt Draco had given her and effortlessly Transfiguring it into a simple dress.