1 6 - Bookshelves

"A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous."

-Ingrid Bergman

December 25th, 2000

"Happy Christmas, Hermione!" Ginny's loud greeting echoed through the apartment. Hermione yawned and stumbled out of her warm bed, trudging towards the sound of her friend's voice as she glanced at her clock.

"It's nine in the morning," she grumbled sleepily, rubbing her eyes as a beaming Ginny rushed towards her. "You interrupted my schedule of sleeping until lunchtime,"

"Oh, I'm sorry," Ginny said sympathetically, enveloping Hermione in a hug.

"You are?" she asked suspiciously, withdrawing from the embrace and eyeing the present in Ginny's hand with newfound distrust.

"I should have known that Malfoy would tire you out. I heard from some Slytherin girl that he could last for hours," Ginny replied knowingly.

"Ginny Weasley!" Hermione shrieked.

"Come on, Hermione. Did you really think I didn't notice you sneak off with him and then leave the ball with your hair all messed up?" Ginny grinned as Hermione subconsciously reached up to smooth her wild curls.

"Sorry to disappoint your avid imagination but we only kissed, nothing more," she responded primly, grabbing her friend's arm and dragging her into the living room.

"Only kissed? Well, how was it?" Ginny asked expectantly, setting the box in her hands on the floor next to the sofa. Hermione turned away and straightened a cushion that was already arranged perfectly to hide the smile spreading across her face.

"Perfect," she whispered.

"I restrained myself from barging into your apartment at six in the morning and waited until nine just to get a one-word answer? Come on, there must have been something else," Ginny wheedled, batting her eyelashes.

"It was perfect," Hermione repeated slowly.

Ginny raised an unimpressed brow. Hermione sighed in response.

"Draco kissed me like he wanted me to stay with him until the end of time. He kissed me like no one else in the world mattered. He kissed me as if he had never wanted anything so badly in his entire life." she revealed, knowing that the ever-so-curious-Ginny would be satisfied with her answer.

Ginny stared at her for a heartbeat, seemingly at loss for words.

"Harry really needs to step up his game," she said at last, ducking with ease as Hermione threw a cushion at her.

"As long as you two don't practice your kissing skills in front of me then I'm all for it," Hermione said wryly, accepting the present Ginny shoved into her hands.

"Your reaction to this will make up for the constant threat of violence that I bravely face every time I come over," Ginny grinned as she stretched out on the sofa.

"We'll see," Hermione laughed then tugged the lid off of the small box. Her breath caught as she lifted out an elegant picture frame.

It was a photograph of her and Draco, both laughing as he spun her around on the dance floor. Hermione's butterfly bracelet glinted as his butterfly pin winked at the camera. The image grew blurry as tears filled Hermione's eyes as she took in the way Draco looked at her. It was as if no one else in the ballroom existed and all he saw was the girl in front of him. His butterfly girl.

"Come here," Ginny murmured as she enveloped her friend in a hug, rubbing her back in comforting circles.

"Thank you, Ginny," Hermione choked out, whisking tears off of her cheeks. "It was stupid of me to cry. It's just a picture,"