1 8 - Secrets and Slytherins

this chapter contains explicit content so feel free to skip past it :)) I've added a note before and after it to make that easier

It's you, it's you, it's all for you

Everything I do

I tell you all the time

Heaven is a place on earth with you

-Video Games, Lana Del Rey

Wednesday, December 27th, 2000

He woke as sunlight began drifting softly into Hermione's room. Draco blinked a few times to clear away the fog that clouded his vision to reveal Hermione sprawled out with her curls strewn across the pillow, one arm hanging off the side of the bed. She looked ethereal in a way that only Hermione could while covered in the heavy blanket of sleep.

Draco rubbed his stiff neck and untucked his legs from the slightly uncomfortable position he had fallen asleep in the previous night. He had passed out in the cushioned armchair in the corner of Hermione's room which wasn't his ideal location but it had worked well enough. Draco decided to ask Rosie to schedule an appointment for a massage as he stretched, arms fully extended over his head in an attempt to loosen the muscles. Maybe it had been a drunken mistake to stay as Hermione had requested, but it had been done and he found that he didn't regret it as much as he probably should.

He rose carefully from the armchair in an attempt to not make noise and wake Hermione, running his palms over his rumpled shirt to make it appear presentable to his mother. There was no doubt in Draco's mind that Narcissa would interrogate him as soon as he tried to slip into the Manor unnoticed. Something—his voice, the look in his eyes—would betray him when he'd inform her of where he had slept. The least he could do was look half-decent to push any suggestive notions out of Narcissa's head.

After running his fingers through his hair a few times, Draco scanned the room until he found the clock in Hermione's room. It was six in the morning. If he left now, there would still be adequate time to return home and get ready for work without causing any suspicion. He swallowed, frowning at the sandpapery texture in his mouth as a result of the alcohol he had tossed down the previous night. Thankfully, Blaise had tossed two vials of hangover potion that Draco had slipped into his pocket. He quickly unscrewed the cap of one and drank it in a single gulp, grateful that it was tasteless. Blaise must have bought the good stuff; cheaper hangover potions were similar to what he imagined something Neville Longbottom had brewed in Potions class would taste like.

Draco removed the second vial of hangover potion from his pocket, rolling the cool glass around his palm. On a whim, he slowly approached Hermione's bedside table, careful to steady his footsteps so that she wouldn't stir. After gently setting down the vial, he crept over to the bedroom door and opened it, permitting himself a single glance over his shoulder before closing it and moving through the apartment until he reached the apartment's front door. Draco slipped outside, then walked a safe distance away so that Hermione wouldn't be disturbed by the loud crack of Apparition.

He disappeared into the crisp morning air as a girl with wild curls slept.

✧ ✧ ✧

Hermione woke with a splitting headache. She had never had a hangover this bad in her life—granted, there weren't many to choose from because Hermione rarely overdid it on alcohol. The events of the previous night flooded back to her, bringing with them a sudden burst of anger.