Chapter 6

Leila POV

After getting an update text from Marshall saying Monica was doing ok and was back at home and that she was taking two weeks off, I took it upon myself to message her in hopes of checking in on her myself.

After handing everything over to her lawyer and finished on my end of the investigation, she had promptly kicked Jake out of the house and was proceeding with the divorce, at his expense of course.

So I now found myself standing in the doorway of Monica's modern style home, with a bottle of champagne.

She had invited me over for lunch and drinks around the pool, not something I normally do with client's but Monica insisted, and I was always keen to drink and celebrate where we cheers the fact, that like always, men ain't shit.

Plus it was a rather heated day in Detroit, where the sun was actually showing itself don't was going to take full advantage of it.

"Hi, come in" She said upon opening the door, standing aside so I can walk past.

"Thanks for inviting me" I said, as she closed the door, then gesturing for me to follow her through her house.

"Well, it's the least I can do, thank you for checking in on me" She said with a warm smile as we got to the kitchen island bench, where foods were laid out, and we sat down "Marshall mentioned that you asked for an update before you got in contact, that was sweet of you, since you didn't have too"

She poured us two drinks.

"You don't have to really, it is just something I felt I needed to do you know... given the circumstances, I felt awful" I said reaching for a glass "How is it going"

"Well, as you can see I kicked him out, Marshall gave me two weeks off to work through weeks, the first week was tough, but this week I'm feeling... well, I don't know, I loved that man, and now I'm left feeling inadequate"

"I can understand why, you're not alone though, if you would like to talk to other women in the same situation I'm happy to get in touch with some and pass on their number" I then pulled out my friend "My friend can help, her mother actually went through it when we were younger"

"That would be great thankyou"

"So two weeks off huh? I got the vibe you're quite close with Marshall"

"You'd be correct to assume, I've been working closely with him since 2008, at the start of his recovery"

"So he's always been an asshole?"

"He's not an asshole, he's just reserved" She chuckled "He is an amazing boss though"

I look out through the windows of her kitchen to see an amazing view of her pool area.

"Wanna take our drinks and jump in? Weathers perfect, better take advantage before the clouds come back"

I nodded with a smile "Most definitely.

———

Marshall POV

I pulled up in Monica's driveway, I was on my way back from catching up with Hailie, and though I'd just drop in, it wasn't unusual.

I ring the doorbell and knock but still no answer, I look to see her car in the driveway.

I mean she isn't the type of person to do anything crazy so I didn't want to assume the worst.

But let's be honest here.

I'm a fucking head case and I'll always assume the worst first.