Chapter 16

Leila POV

I stood in the cemetery in the sweltering Detroit heat, today was unusually hot and humid.

Reading Tommy's headstone, and it still wasnt resonating with me that he was gone, even though it had been 14 years since his death.

"Here lies Thomas Marcel Tate, loving son, brother, and cousin"

"Once upon a time you were the life of the party, now look at all the people that claimed to be your friends" I snorted as I stepped forward and brushed away some dust before placing the flowers down and stepping back "Those mother fuckers weren't shit in the end"

"Even in a cemetery, you're a sight Miss Leila" I heard a deep calm voice behind me that held a hint of humour "That brother of yours would be proud you're just as firey even now"

Turning towards the voice I gave them a side glance.

"What can I say, he pretty much raised me"

He chuckled "You don't say"

"How's life been treating you beautiful? Ruin any men's lives lately?" He said moving next to me as I turned to face him "It's been a minute since we caught up"

"It's been treating me quite well thanks Christan, you know me well, I'm not happy unless I'm ruining men's lives" I said giving him a kind smile "How have you been? Break any laws lately?"

He smirked at me "I miss your smart ass being around, I was devastated when you left the force, my inside woman was no more"

"Please, it was full of men and they were all pigs, I'm much happier now"

He nodded and looked towards Tommy's grave "I wish we could have bought his killer to justice for you Leila, I still feel the guilt of his death heavily on my heart"

I shook my head "I wasn't your fault he was shot, he knew what he was doing was dangerous, we all knew, it was just bad luck"

"Drug dealing gone wrong doesn't have anything to do with bad luck Leila" Christian sighed.

I waved him off and heard him sigh.

"Did you get the concert tickets?"

"We did, thanks again, it was great as always, Alec and I had a good time"

"It's the least I can do every concert, in honour of your brother" Christian said, looking at me with a small smile "You know, I feel like Marshall would have loved your brother, they were a lot alike"

I quietly nodded.

He was right.

"How's you momma doing these days?"

I sighed "In and out of the Psychiatric hospitals, I wished the alcohol and drugs had taken her instead, would have been a lot better than watching her mind just dissipate to nothing but a drug fucked zombie, I can't even call her my mother anymore"

He nodded sympathetically "And your daddy?"

"Hopefully dead, I haven't heard from him in about a year, can't complain at least he hasn't turned up on my doorstep demanding money"

He chuckled "Tell me how you really feel about them, baby girl"

I shrugged, it was my father's fault she was like this, but unfortunately, I can't blame him for the alcohol and drugs, she did that herself.

"I don't know if I could ever repay you for the amount of kindness you've shown me over the years"

He looked at me confused "Don't be stupid, you're family, I always promised your brother id look after you, he and Alec were like sons to me after all"