Chapter 1

When I turned 17 years old, I decided to enter a contest where SM Entertainment fans can enter to win vocal, rap, or dance lessons with a select SM artist over a Zoom call. When I heard they were holding this contest, I knew I had to sign up. After waiting about two-three weeks, the results were out with a list of fans who won the contest. On the list was my name with my coach next to it: Raeshel Miller - Byun Baekhyun(EXO, Vocal). Wow, I really can't believe this. I actually won the contest and will be having vocal lessons with none other than Baekhyun of EXO. He is such a talented vocalist, I'm so glad he's the one to be coaching me.

Today, I will be having my first vocal lesson with Baekhyun. I hopped on the Zoom call, waiting for the host to allow me to join. The host is one of the managers of EXO, making sure nothing strange happens between Baekhyun and I. I had read all the rules and one of the biggest rules is; no making romantic comments or making moves on the artists. In other words, don't flirt with the artists. I understand this because EXO in particular have a reputation for dating scandals in the past, that we won't get into. Anyways, the EXO manager allows me to join the call. I have been learning Korean, not only for these lessons, but just as my New Year's resolution for 2021, so I introduced myself in Korean to Baekhyun,
"안녕하세요, 저는 래셀입니다."
Baekhyun's eyes widen, shocked that I know Korean. He prepared to speak in English since I'm American,
"Wow, your Korean is good!"
"Thank you. Where do we begin?" I asked.
"Vocal warm ups." Baekhyun said.
"Okay, I'll follow you." I said.
"Mhm." Baekhyun said, then starts singing, "Do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, do."
I follow Baekhyun, "Do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, do."
"Now, backwards. Do, ti, la, sol, fa, mi, re, do." Baekhyun sings heavenly.
"Do, ti, la, sol, fa, mi, re, do." I sang.
"Good." Baekhyun said, "Let's see, what else?"
"Oh! I still have my warm-ups from when I was in choir in high school. Shall I go get those?" I asked.
"Ah, sure." Baekhyun said.

I turn off my camera and mic so I can go run down to my basement and find my binder of choir warm-ups and songs we used to do in my high school advanced choir. I came running back up the stairs, turning my camera and mic back on, out of breath. Baekhyun giggles at my effort to be back in 5 seconds.
"I got it!" I exclaimed, holding up my binder.
"Please show me what you have." Baekhyun said.
"The Star Spangled Banner (National Anthem), A Million Dreams from The Greatest Showman, America The Beautiful, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Carol Of The Bells, Hallelujah. There's lots of Christmas stuff here." I said.
"Hmm, I see. Uhh. . . Can you sample A Million Dreams?" Baekhyun said.
"Sure." I said, I take a deep breath and prepare to sing A Million Dreams for Baekhyun, "Cause every night I lie in bed. The brightest colours fill my head. A million dreams are keeping me awake. I think of what the world could be. A vision of the one I see. A million dreams is all it's gonna take. Oh a million dreams for the world we're gonna make."
"Ooh, okay. You are 1st alto." Baekhyun said.
"Yeah, how'd you know?" I asked.
"I can hear it." Baekhyun said.

Baekhyun and I do my vocal lesson, using A Million Dreams as our guide. Baekhyun also asked me what my favorite SuperM or EXO song was. Of course, I loved the masterpiece of a full album, Super One, so I named almost all the songs on that album. I also named; I Can't Stand The Rain, No Manners, and Jopping, as some of my favorite SuperM songs. For EXO, it's hard to choose just one, so I name a couple from all their albums, in order, starting from their debut album. Baekhyun listened intently, trying to make sense of my words that are coming out very quickly because I'm still nervous to talk to him. The songs I listed from EXO, debut on are: Mama, Wolf, The First Snow, Thunder, Growl, Lucky, Call Me Baby, Playboy, Sing For You, Monster, Cloud 9, Falling For You, The Eve, Ko Ko Bop, Been Through, Love Me Right, Tempo, Love Shot, Baby You Are, Ya Ya Ya, Non Stop, Day After Day.
"Wow, thanks for the support." Baekhyun said.
"It's nothing. I'm just sad that I can't collect EXO albums because I have too many albums now." I said.
"I can send you one." Baekhyun said.
"No, you really don't have to." I said.
"It's the least I can do." Baekhyun said.
"Okay, if I have to choose. I really liked your Obsession album." I said.
"Okay!" Baekhyun said, excited to send me my gift.

We ended our call after that. Wow, that was unreal. I guess I should be expecting EXO albums in the next few weeks. I told Baekhyun he really didn't have to send me any albums, but he wants to. He does have to go to the military by his next birthday, so it's like a patting gift. When that happens, I'm definitely going to cry. I love Baekhyun so much, even if he's not my bias, he's pretty high on my bias list for EXO. I appreciate his help in my vocals and helping me to become the singer I truly want to be. I'm excited for my next few lessons coming up over the course of this month. God only knows how busy Baekhyun is, but he decided to participate in this little SM Town competition because he loves his fans.