Kamaile 🌱 Finale Part 2

Kamaile

As Kililau and Alohi approached the trailhead to Kamaile they noticed tracks in the dirt, the tracks were distinct ones, leading up the mountain. He advised her to be still and not move. Covering his mouth with his finger he gave Alohi a signal to not make a sound as well.

After conducting his own observations, he concluded there were three people and they were all men, on foot, probably hunters taking the scenic route. Alohi chuckled at his findings but also noticed somethings on her own. There were additional track marks indicating that one of the men had a stick with a spear tip and loose feathers strewn about. Before she could inform Kili of her discovery, she ran up the mountain in a flurry. He could barely catch up to her.

"What are you doing?" He panted as he caught up to her, trying to keep in pace with her steps. "I know who they are" she smiled like a little girl on her birthday. This ultimately made Kili nervous but If Alohi was so sure then he'd follow her all the way up to see who it was.

When the entry into the grove was found open Kililau became nervous, what If Tutu Hali'i had returned home early and just realized that Alohi had been gone overnight?

He held his breath as Alohi burst through the front entrance.

What Kililau saw next was quite a sight. She was being embraced by a very tall, muscular man who looked like a warrior, while two other men who looked similar to him stood watch. They were all smiling, but none more than Alohi. She was smiling so big that she was close to tears.

"Kili come I'd like to introduce you" she announced between fits of smiles and sniffles.

Kililau walked slowly toward them. He was being cautious but by the looks of it she was safe with these men.

"Kili these are my father's guards and most trusted friends. They are Ohana to me. This is Pūnohu" she pointed to the Warrior like man whom she was just hugging.

"This is Kana'i" she pointed to a much shorter man who looked a little older than Kili. "And this is my father's right hand and oldest friend, Na'eole, my godfather."

"Aloha" Kili greeted the men as he approached to give them Hā. An exchange or mixing of breaths.

"Owai keiā?" Na'eole turned to Alohi, asking her who he was. She knew exactly what he was asking but didn't want it to be awkward so she quickly explained that he was her friend.

Asking for Kililau's lineage and family ties was indeed necessary and a common thing between kanaka or hawaiian men, so Na'eole directed his attention to Kili and inquired about his Ohana or family and place of residence.

Just then, as Kililau started explaining, Na'eole recalled a conversation he had with Chief Ho'omana a month earlier about a boy named Kililau, who was indeed a son of Chief Ha'ikū. Na'ole nodded in response to the boy's explanation and smiled. He was satisfied with his answer. "Where were you both coming from just now? " Kana'i inquired. He was like Alohi's older brother and was very curious about what was going on here. "Ku'u hale" Kili admitted. Realizing that maybe that wasn't the smartest answer. "Ua hiamoe oia me mākou" he continued, explaining that Alohi had spent the night, then realizing, once again that wasn't the right choice of words. "Umm we'll explain later" Alohi smirked trying so hard to change the subject. The men looked shocked and it made Alohi feel very awkward.

She offered them something to drink, running into the hale to fix them tea and a plate of fruits. As she did, she wondered why they were here in the mountains, especially since everyone had moved back to Manā. "We came to hunt" Na'eole answered Alohi's unspoken question. "I promised your dad we'd stop by to check on you." "Oh" she smiled passing around the drinks and putting the fruit plate in the center of the table.