Kililau & Kealohilani Part 3

Kamaile

Alohi awoke to the sound of birds chirping in the trees. They sang a tune, as if to signify the morning and rising of the sun. It was strange to think that now she was on the side of the island that the sun actually rose from, instead of where it set. Stretching her arms, she stood from the bed, which was made of a birch wood held together intricately at the corners by kaula and a mattress of lauhala, with a thick wool blanket on top, it felt as though she had just woken up on a cloud. She felt rested and happy, which was surprising for her, as she had dreaded the trip two days prior. She went in search of her father and made her way to the outer patio. She had to admit, it was beautiful here. A place that stood apart from the rest. The house stood on high stilts and overlooked the gardens below. The stream that ran through the garden supplied the water needed for all vegetation to grow. The whole house was built within a huge banyan tree and the walls were made of the same wood. The windows were huge with a an open screen, which made it feel as though you were still on the outside of the hale, giving it that tree house vibe.

"Ahh Aloha Kakahiaka e ku'u Alohi!" Ho'omana smiled greeting his daughter from her sleep. He must have had a good night's rest and was in good spirits as well, she smiled in return, giving him a kiss on the cheek. Anakē Hali'i had been up since dawn cooking breakfast and she and Ho'omana spent the morning talking about the days ahead, coming to some sort of agreement. Alohi joined them famished from the journey and ate the mea'ai or food she saw before her. Looking up, she noticed her dad and Tutu laughing at her.

"There are chores Alohi that you must complete every morning and some in the afternoon as well before the sun sets" Tutu Hali'i informed her as they walked through the gardens. There were herbs and medicinal plants along the stream that needed extra care and watering, shrubs that needed to be pruned and overgrown mahiki or grass that needed to be cut down. A handmade birdfeeder hung near the corner of a huge branch as Tutu instructed her on how to feed the birds. She laughed as she explained how greedy they could be but how beautiful it sounded all throughout the day with their company. Ho'omana kept his distance and was sure not to interrupt. He had another day to spend with Alohi before departing down toward Nualolo and he wanted to spend the afternoon walking the breadth of the mauna to give her the lay of the land.

Wainiha

"Are you crazy?" Mana yelled trying to catch up with Kililau. "You're going up there again...Why? It's not like we know who they are and what they are doing there?" He continued, waving his hands in frustration, trying to get his cousin's attention.

"That's exactly my point genius!" Kili announced, walking straight ahead, without turning to look at his cousin. "Besides aren't you even a little curious? I mean who are they? Where did they come from? And why are they here? I mean I have never really been all the way in Kamaile let alone knew a hidden entrance even existed there." He continued.

They walked toward the lo'i fields, fronting Makana, promising both their dads to help out as much as possible, especially during the season of Kū. The lo'i was packed with helpers but another limahana/kokua, or helper was always appreciated and accepted. "Aloha Anakala!" Kili shouted as he approached the lo'i, greeting his father's cousin Lono with Hā, as was the custom greeting. Lono was excited to see his nephews and put them right to work. He oversaw the fields in Ha'ena whenever Ha'ikū was away and took his kuleana or responsibility very seriously. The lo'i flourished during this time and planting was encouraged, all throughout the islands from Manā to Haena, kalo was planted and when the time for harvest was upon them there was bound to be a great big feast.

The work was plentiful but after they were done, the boys felt good and were due for a dip in the cold water pond before continuing on with their day.

Kamaile