Kamaile 🌱 Finale - Part 1

Nou nou

As the sun beat down on the trail, the men worked without complaint. Cleaning the shrubbery that was blocking the trail head and fallen tree branches. All of them worked diligently and in silence, except two.

"Man I'm hungry" Manaleo groaned looking up at the sky, as if food would just magically appear and fall from it.

"You're always hungry" Kililau chuckled. "Besides it's you who got us into this mess" he continued.

"I had to clean this trail anyway, it's just my dad would be impressed that I went ahead and did it, without him bugging me about it." He shrugged.

"Lucky him" Kililau smirked, whose plan for the day had been derailed in one fall swoop.

"We're almost Pau, if we keep working we can finish faster and head back to wainiha and maybe to Kamaile." Mana suggested, his stomach growling, giving him the motivation he needed to hurry up and finish.

"Yeah I won't hold my breath" Kili sighed continuing on with his work. "E Ho'omaha kākou" Lono announced, for the boys to take a break, flying Kili and Mana some mangoes. A smile formed on Manaleo's face, catching the fruit in one hand, literally tearing it apart with his teeth.

Kili bit into his as well but ultimately knew, taking a break would prolong their day. "Anakala I'm going to continue clearing the shrubs down the trail if you don't mind, I still have some chores to do at home" he explained.

"Ahh oia? hiki no" he obliged nodding his head at Kili. He could sense the boy's restlessness but also promised his cousin he'd look after him.

Within an hour from their break the trail was cleaned and the men headed back to Wainiha, bidding farewell to Manaleo who made his way home. Kililau waved to his cousin and followed Lono and the boys.

Wainiha

Daylight was dwindling but Kililau kept up with Lono and did as he was told to do. After all punishment for not following his uncle's orders, would be severe from his dad upon arrival. The men said their goodbyes to Kili as they arrived to the Chiefs hale and made their way home individually.

"Mahalo Anakala" Kili exchanged Hā with his uncle, "Ae Mahalo Lono" the Chief appeared sharing Hā with his cousin before his departure. Ha'ikū was content to see that his son had done a hard days work and returned home as he was instructed. "Let's head to the pond for a dip" he suggested.

"Kalamai Pa...ua luhi au" Kililau announced. He was exhausted from the day's work and wanted to rest. "Ae Hiki no" the Chief nodded as he allowed his son to enter the hale. He went to look for his wife and daughter to convince them to follow him for a dip in the pond.

************

Alohi did not know where she was, she followed the road into the village as it was marked. If she ran into Tutu Hali'i she'd be in so much trouble but she took her chances. She had been cooped up in the forest for far too long and she needed a reprieve from the isolation.

Just as she was walking along the road, she heard keiki laughing and playing. Coming around the corner, she saw three boys, who looked around ten years old, jumping off rocks into a pond, on the side of the road. Smiling, she observed them for a while before continuing on. There was a path to her left, leading to the ocean. She wanted to feel the sand under her toes, and just as she walked along the shore, the look out on the horizon reminded her of Nualolo Kai, her home.

The expanse of the area revealed a greater view but the sound and smell of the salty air took her back there. Oh how she missed the walks she took on the beach, the moonlit nights sitting on the shore, laughing and talking with her parents. A tear fell as she remembered the last time, she and her mom were on that very beach looking at the horizon before them. Or the last time, she and her dad enjoyed the starry skies and moonlit night singing songs. The night of her birthday celebration outside their hale, overlooking the shoreline. She missed it so much her heart ached.