Kamaile 🌱 Finale Part 10

Nou'nou

The healthy cries of a baby could be heard throughout the valley, as family members and friends stopped by to wish Lokelia and her baby boy well. Pu'uwai stood proud, as a first time father would, with a big smile, as he greeted well wishers to their home.

Hali'i, Ho'omana and Alohi had started their preparations for their journey back to Kamaile, but Mahealani would not hear of it. "Noho oukou a hiki ka lā popo" she insisted, telling them to remain in their home until the following day, so they could get a good nights rest before the long journey home. "Ae Anakē Noho me mākou," Lokelia chimed in, "mahalo iā 'oe a me kou Ohana no ke kokua ana" she continued, grateful for their help. If it had not been for Anakē Hali'i's kokua who knows what would have happened. Mahealani quickly prepared a room for them to rest in and it was settled.

Late into the night, visitors stopped in and out to congratulate the Ohana, and finally the three visitors turned in for the night.

As Alohi slept, she had a vivid dream. A dream that woke her in the middle of the night, sweat dripping from her temple, she rose from the moena in search of wai, or water.

"Pehea oe?" She heard a voice say behind her. "Oh Tutu Kalamai, loaa au i ka moe uhane." She sighed, telling her tutu that she had a strange dream. The details were a little foggy but the more she thought about it, they started to become clear. "Maka'ala oe" Tutu instructed. Alohi was a little confused. "Your dream Kealohi, it's warning you, so be alert." She repeated, before making herself a cup of water also.

Alohi realized at that moment, Tutu knew what she had dreamt. Whatever it was, Tutu had seen it also. Chills went down her spine as she returned to the room and the moena beside her father. He stirred a bit before going right back to sleep, letting out a thunderous snore. "Auwe" Tutu remarked before heading back to sleep also.

Alohi had much to learn. She was not sure she could acquire this gift for sensing others, as her father had hoped. Aside from being able to communicate with animals, people, for her was another thing entirely, she'd have to focus, and intently, if she wanted to sense someone's ano or read their mind. Her mind was constantly running a million miles a day, she was easily distracted and so confused at all that had happened in the last month alone. She closed her eyes and drifted back to sleep.

"Alohi wait up!" Kililau's voice trailed off behind her. He was running and was out of breath, as he reached the top of the mountain. Smiling and laughing, Alohi felt so accomplished, taking in the scene before her. "U'i loa." she exclaimed. Staring out at the valley below her and the magnificent view. Soaring cliff to the bottom and twin waterfalls across the ridge. She had never beheld anything as beautiful. Just then a Mōlī, or albatross passed above them, soaring into the valley before them. Wings opened wide, gliding through the wind. Alohi smiled as she witnessed his flight. Kililau also stood amazed. "I wish I could build a house right here" Alohi sighed. "Here?" Kililau questioned her, to be sure. "Ae i ne'i" she replied, meaning, "yes here",  in their native language, so he understood what she meant. "It is beautiful" he smiled looking around them. "We should get back before your tutu returns" he suggested.

The pair, walked down the mountain trail, Kililau leading the way, holding on to Alohi, whenever the trail got to steep, and before reaching the bottom of the last embankment, holding her hand as they slowly walked. "I'll run up from here" Alohi turned to hug him, when she noticed the expression on his face change from smiling to startled. He looked as if he'd seen a ghost. Turning to look for herself, she saw Tutu Hali'i standing before them, as they stood before her hand in hand.

Alohi jumped, opening her eyes, she quickly  realized she was in an unfamiliar place. The room was empty, with blankets folded along with the lauhala mats in the corner. "Aloha kakahiaka Alohi" someone greeted her, Goodmorning, it was Mahealani. "Hele mai e pa'ina" she announced, inviting her to breakfast. "Ae mahalo" she thanked her trying to get her bearings.

She realized that this was the same dream she had earlier and now knew what Tutu Hali'i meant about it being a warning.

Tutu knew about her and Kililau's adventures Into the mountains, and soon her father would too, if she wasn't careful.

She excused herself to the washroom before joining everyone on the lanai for breakfast.

++++++++++

The retreat had ended and Ha'ikū and Kililau could return home to wainiha. First, both Chief Ha'ikū and Kililau would visit Pu'uwai and his ohana to congratulate him on his son's birth. They headed over with Manaleo and Kililau as well.

The men had prepared i'a Mata or raw fish. A gift for the Ohana to feast on, as well as a blanket knitted by chiefess Leimomi, Kahiau's wife.

They entered the pā or yard, noticing a large group having a meal.

"Aloha!" Chief Kahiau announced, entering with a basket and other provisions. As chief of the district, he knew every family, and had also helped to raise Pu'uwai. So, he too,  beamed like a proud papa.

"Aloha" Pu'uwai stood, as he made his way to greet them, giving Hā to both chiefs as well as their sons.

"Hey isn't that?" Manaleo started to say, until Kili nudged him in the side. "Yo bro what the?" He pushed back. "Just shut it" Kili replied in a hushed tone.

Just then Mahealani stood and greeted the men formally, welcoming them and  introducing them to everyone. She also explained as to Tutu Hali'i's presence, Chief Ho'omana and Alohi's as well.

"Aloha Anakē" Chief Ha'ikū greeted her and Chief Ho'omana as well. They brought in the fish adding it to the table, joining the group. Kililau felt awkward, he's never felt that way before but this time he did. He could also sense that Alohi felt way more awkward than he, and Mana? Well Mana was smiling from ear to ear with fish and poi and other meats before him. He ate to his hearts content, ignoring Kahiau's death stare. Kili just shook his head and laughed, as
Alohi did too.

"Hey" Kililau greeted, scooting a few chairs down to where Alohi was picking on her fruit and what she had left on her plate. "Yo no wonder you're so skinny, here have some meat" Manaleo shouted at her dropping some Kalua on her plate. Alohi laughed, "'mahalo but I'm full" she replied. "Eat it" Mana ordered, going back to his own plate of Kalua, poi and fish.

"Mana!" Chief Kahiau bellowed from the other side of the table. He could tell his son was getting out of hand. The boy could eat twice his size at every sitting and now he was clearing out most of the meat on the table. Mana paid him no attention. To be honest,  if his dad wanted him to run up and down the mountain, he'd do it, no complaints, but all he'd ask for in return is, that he be allowed to eat until he's full. If wood was needed for fire then Mana was a good size tree trunk.

He did struggle to keep up with Kililau during training but he was twice his size and his strength was solid. He could clear trails in no time by lifting heavy branches that usually took three men to lift, as if it were nothing.

"I'll eat it" Kililau finally spoke, before reaching for the meat and putting it in his mouth. Soon Alohi was laughing and talking with the boys, not even noticing that all three chiefs were now staring at them.

+++++++

As Chief Ho'omana, Alohi and Anakē Hali'i traveled home to Kamaile, they noticed how busy the community in Wailua seemed to be. The trade of fish from the lawai'a or fishermen, to the bartering of homemade goods and vegetables from the market. It was a bustling little area. The arrival of Kaumuali'i to the region in the upcoming week, kept Chief Ha'ikū and Kililau back in nou'nou for a bit to help with ceremonies. Alohi was still unsure about her departure to Manā, as her dad had not disclosed any more information to her about it since they had left Kamaile.

For now, she'd be patient, for she knew her father never made a decision in haste. He'd explain to her in detail before their departure, she was sure of it. The Chief could sense her anxiousness. She had once been excited to leave, but now was anxious and unsure. He knew it was due to her new friendship with Kililau.

If he'd noticed their friendship then he knew that  Ha'ikū had also noticed it. What did he make of it? Ho'omana wondered. He wrestled with these thoughts as they made their way back to the base of the mountain and toward the ocean. There they'd find a nearby fishing boat who could take them back toward the north end coast.