Chapter 1 - Bitter Beginnings

"I'm pregnant," Cleo says, holding my face near her right after our kiss at the altar. She is smiling, clearly happy about this news. "What?" I retort, as a plethora of emotions overcome me. "Yes Lewis, we're gonna have a baby! You're gonna be a father!" 

Cleo elaborates. "I- wow. That's a lot of news to unload on me on the day of our wedding," I say, trying to decipher what this really means for us. "I know, I know," Cleo explains, "But I just had to tell you. I'm so excited, we can really start living our lives together. I just found out a couple days ago, and I couldn't hold it in any longer." 

My face contorts into a conglomerate of twisted muscles and masses of skin. I don't know how to react to this. I mean I love Cleo, I couldn't live without her, I need her. But a baby, especially this soon? Where will we get the money to be able to afford a child, we needed Zane's help just to have a wedding. 

I can tell that I've been thinking about it for too long, as the cheers that had erupted around us when we went in for our wedding kiss had subsided, and Cleo is now looking at me with a slight worried expression on her face. "Well, time to get a move on," I say with all the glee I could muster, "Let's get to eating!" The cheers return, and it's now time to celebrate our marriage with a nice meal. 

As we sit down at our respective tables, I can't help but acknowledge a deep feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach. I can tell my eyes look hazy and that my attention has veered off course. I feel a shred of panic rise within me, equally impossible to ignore. Cleo nudges me, "This shrimp scampi is real good, eh?" I look down at my plate, having barely heard Cleo amidst the pounding thoughts that quell within my mind. 

"Lewis?" My attention suddenly snaps back into reality long enough to be able to replay Cleo's sentence in my head so that I can understand her. "Oh yeah, real great. You dad's boats always pick the best ones," I say, with mild enthusiasm. She nods affirmatively in her cute Cleo way, showing me that she both gets what I'm saying and is flattered by the compliment. Soon enough, the plates clear and the dancing begins.