Chapter 4 - The Reluctant Return

Nothing had ever felt so right. I open my eyes and Zane smiles at me. "Wow," he says, "That was something else." My mind draws back in, and I think of Cleo. I smack my forehead and exclaim, "What have I just done?! I just got married today."

"I know," said Zane. "But this is real, and you know it." Zane was right, this was real. "But I love Cleo," I say. "I know you do, and that's why we need you to get to her on time tonight, she'll be expecting you." I try to wrap my brain around what just happened. "What do you mean get back to her on time tonight?" I inquired. "Because we're not done with each other," Zane retorts. His sass was unmatched.

Later that night, after a wild, wild couple of hours with Zane, I go to the hotel room to Cleo. I know I have some explaining to do, as I promised her I would go back to dance after getting some air outside. I would be upset if my groom left me halfway through our wedding celebration and never came back until night. When I open the door, Cleo is sitting on the bed with mascara running down her cheeks. "Cleo," I say, "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to be gone for so long."

"What happened Lewis?" she says in a tone of distress. I shift my feet sheepishly, and explain, "I think just the idea of being father was more foreign to me than I had been anticipating. I guess I needed a little more than just air to calm down." 

She looks down, dismayed, and says, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have waited until we were at the altar to tell you. I just didn't want to tell you when you were away on the day that I found out. I wanted to do it in person, and when we were together getting married I couldn't control myself." 

I feel a sharp pang of guilt spread through me as I realize what I had done to my sweet Cleo. She only wants the best for me, and I had to ruin it by cheating on her. "It's okay Cleo, I was just concerned because we're still so young and can't even afford a wedding or a house, let alone a child."

"I'm not concerned about that. We'll make it work. We always do." Cleo reaches out and hugs me. I hug her back. As we sit on the bed in the hotel room on our wedding night, this guilt inside me grows a thousand times stronger. How could I have done this?