24. Depressing Memories

(Y/N)'s POV

No one could fail to enjoy Christmas dinner at Hogwarts.

The Great Hall looked magnificent. Not only were there a dozen frost-covered Christmas trees and thick streamers of holly and Mosel to cross-crossing the ceiling, but enchanted snow was falling, warm and dry, from the ceiling.

Dumbledore had lead them in a few of his favourite Christmas carols, and although it took some serious encouragement, (Y/N) sang loud and proud. Hagrid boomed more and more loudly with every goblet of eggnog he consumed.

Percy hadn't noticed that Fred had bewitched his prefect badge so that it now read 'Pinhead'. So he constantly asked them all what they were sniggering about.

(Y/N) could care less about the loud, snide remarks Draco Malfoy kept making about his and Harry's new jumpers from the Slytherin table. With a bit of luck, Malfoy would get some seriously deserved karma in a few hours.

(Y/N) sat there, happily eating his second helping of (F/F) when Hermione had ushered him, Harry and Ron out of the Great Hall to finalise their plans for the evening.

"We still need a bit of the people you two are changing into," said Hermione matter-of-factly, as though she was just sending Harry and Ron to the supermarket for some simple shopping. "And obviously, it'll be best if you can something if Crabbe and Goyle's; they're Malfoy's best friends, he'll tell them anything. And we also need to make sure the real Crabbe and Goyle can't burst in on us while we're interrogating him."

'What do you mean us two?" said Ron in confusion. "It's three — me, Harry and (Y/N)."

"No, it's just you two," said Hermione annoyed. "(Y/N)'s got a different job that only he can do."

"What's that meant to mean?" said Harry. "What can he do that we can't?"

"I can do a Confundus Charm," said (Y/N), "maybe — I hope so. But the point is, once you've got Crabbe and Goyle the broom cupboard. It's not going to be good if someone opens it while you two are in the Slytherin Common Room and brings them back there. So me and Hermione agreed that I should keep an eye on it and Confund anyone who gets to close."

"Broom cupboard?" said Ron, "what are we doing in a broom cupboard?"

"If you let Hermione speak," said (Y/N), "you'll find out."

"I've got it all worked out," continued Hermione smoothly, ignoring the stupefied face of Harry and the withering glares Ron was giving (Y/N) because he didn't have to drink the Polyjuice. She held up two plump chocolate cakes. "I've filled these with a simple Sleeping Draught. All you need to do is make sure Crabbe and Goyle find them . You know how greedy they are, they're bound to eat them. Once they're asleep, pull out a few of their hairs and hide them in a broom cupboard."

Harry and Ron clearly did not think this was a foolproof plan.

"Hermione, I don't think —"

"That could go seriously wrong —"

But Hermione had steely glint in her eye that gave her an eerie resemblance to McGonagall.
"The potion will be useless without Crabbe and Goyle's hair," she said sternly. "You do want to investigate Malfoy, don't you?"

"Oh, all right, all right," said Harry. "But what about you? Whose hair are you ripping out?"

"I've already got mine!" said Hermione brightly, pulling a tiny bottle out her pocket and showing them the single hair inside it. "Remember Millicent Bulstrode wrestling with me at the Duelling Club? She left this on my robes when she was trying to strangle me! And she's gone home for Christmas — so I'll just have to tell the Slytherins I've decided to come back."