Chapter 8

Water. Freezing cold water. All around.

Her legs moved desperately trying to stay afloat. She felt her hair sticking to her face . Her white dress floating around her form creating its own isolated waves.

And water, water everywhere.

She could see nothing but the dark blue waves crashing around her. The cold engulfing her, hurting her, like tiny needles burried deep inside her entire skin.

Suddenly, she wasn't floating anymore. Her vision became blurry as she drowned. The light growing further and further away.

Her lungs screamed for air until she no longer had the strengh to hold her breath.

She let the water in.

She felt nothing but cold. She saw nothing but darkness.

Cold. Dark. Cold. Dark. Cold.

Cold.

Cold.

Eleanor opened her eyes, gasping.

The bright sunlight hitting her eyes, spreading a burning feeling.

She didn't feel hot in one bit. She was quick to close her eyes again, the image of her dream still imprinted in her mind.

Groaning, she lifted her hand to her face.

She didn't know where that dream had come from. She felt incredibly cold and her head felt like it was about to explode.

She massaged her temples and stretched her toes, her body slowly starting to wake up.

She felt awful. All she wanted to do was curl up in a ball and disappear. She felt as if someone had run a screwdriver through her head.

The coldness made things even worse. Goosebumps ran through her entire skin making her shiver. She thought it was odd. She was usually cold in the early mornings but never that much. She was freezing.

She closed her eyes tightly, trying to keep away the sunlight that didn't help her state at all.

She cursed her luck, she knew she had to get up.

As she lay there, trying to make the most of her remaining moments of inactivity, events of the previous night flooded her mind.

She felt numb.

She couldn't really decide what to make of things.

She wanted to feel angry. She wanted to hate Gally. She wanted to hate them all. But she just couldn't.

Sure, she was no longer the over-sensitive little girl she was when she had arrived, but that didn't make her a bitter person.

She desperately wanted to be furious but it was like she was incapable of it. Maybe it wasn't in her nature.

She wondered how she was going to face the Gladers after everything that had happened. But she knew she couldn't avoid it. She had a job to do. She wasn't about to break the rules and get on their bad side even more.

Only one thing was clear, she had to apologize to Minho.

Making use of all her will-power she got out of her sleeping bag. She spotted a pile of her damp clothes from the previous night lying on the ground.

She groaned again. She had forgotten about those.

Why on earth had she thought taking a shower completely dressed in the middle of the night was a remotedly acceptable idea?

Of course, she hadn't been in her best state of mind to make decisions, but still, stupid.

Her clothes laid there, still wet, all tangled up. She felt like they were mocking her.