the bus

bustling crowds and silent sleepers

Clara didn't mind bus rides as when she was younger she would always have to get an hour-long bus to Hartford, so she could get to her ballet studio

Clara didn't mind bus rides as when she was younger she would always have to get an hour-long bus to Hartford, so she could get to her ballet studio. However, she was still shaken up from Max's harsh words. But playing stupid games with Cassandra, Allie and Will put her mind off it for a while which made her feel better. 

 Kelly and Harry were sitting a couple of rows backs and occasionally, Clara would talk to her when Harry's tongue wasn't down her throat.

it was quite a scenic route that the bus had went. Lots of hills, lakes and parts of Connecticut that nobody on the bus had ever seen before. The sun had set now upon the hills and people were drifting off to sleep.

 Clara was trying to stay awake for as long as she was able but she could feel her eyes getting heavy. She could still slightly smell Iris Ford's vomit from the front of the bus. Poor Iris, she wasn't much of an outdoors person or a bus person. Still not sure why she came. At least the smell wasn't as bad as the smell at West Ham. Clara had to sleep now.

The bus coming to a sudden stop and the lights turning on woke everyone up. A series of groans came from all around the bus.

"Change of plans. Rock slides, the road is closed. You're back home," announced the bus driver.

Another series of groans echoed around the bus.

Clara froze up. This trip meant that she was getting away from Max from ten days and now she had to face him.

"Lara, you ok," Clara came out of her daydream when Harry noticed she had frozen up.

Despite the hatred between her brother and the boy, she had always liked Harry. He never was rude to her and always was kind. She was really supportive of his and Kelly's relationship but ever since about three weeks ago, she had noticed that Kelly wasn't the same with Harry. She wasn't sure why but something was definitely different with her. It wasn't to do with Harry because he treated her like a princess. Clara was determined to find out why.

After the trip back and another few hours sleep, the buses got back to the town. When she got off the bus, the first thing that Clara noticed was that no one was waiting for the teenagers. It was late but someone's parents would've been awake.

She put it out of her mind and walked home with Allie, Cassandra and Will. All of them were feeling the same nervous pit in their stomachs.

Slowly putting the keys in the door so as not to wake anyone if they were in the house, she opened the door.

"MOM"

"DAD"

"MAX"

No response.

Clara walked upstairs and looked into her parent's room.

No sign of life. The bed was made in the way her mother always made it. The same level of cleanliness that her father always kept up.

Clara, who was now shaking with fear, crept over to Max's room. His bed wasn't made but it never was. She went and sat on the bed, feeling for any sign of warmth. Nothing. It was cold.

Trying to think what could've happened, she went downstairs to see if they left a note or anything but the kitchen was exactly like what it was when she left.

From her kitchen window, she could see right into the Pressman's kitchen and she could see that they were panicking as well.

Her phone pinged. It was a text from Kelly.

lara my parents are gone

Soon after, she was receiving texts from the big group chat that had everyone who was on the trip. Everyone was gone. No parents. No younger brothers or sisters. No older siblings. Absolutely everyone had gone.

Cassandra put a message on the chat telling everyone to go to the church for a meeting.

lucy speaks

heyyyyyyy doods hope you enjoy this chapter i think I'm going to start uploading chapters twice a week on Sunday and Thursday but this might change. I just wanted to savour this book and not finish it right away. 

PSA i have actually been to the town where some scenes of the society was filmed, i went in 2019 and i might be going again either this year or next year which is so exciting. Little Women was also filmed there

its a town in Massachusetts called Concord and its soo nice 

anyway love y'all 

xoxo