the prom

your heart was glass, i dropped it

Clara couldn't sleep in her house. She didn't feel safe there. Harry offered to let her stay at his place but she politely declined. She just stayed next door with Allie and Cassandra. Clara didn't tell them what had happened but she knew it wasn't to do with them.

The rest of the night and the following day, Clara had an impending feeling of doom. As if something bad was on its way. 

Something that would hopefully take her mind off all this shit was the prom. Kelly had offered it up as a suggestion at the meeting between the girls. Clara had bought her dress in September so at least she had one. Her dress was gorgeous, her mother and her had gone to New York for it. It was light green with bows at the shoulder. It was her dream dress. 

On her way home from food prep, she walked into Harry going to the canteen.

"Hey, looking good," he said, pointing to her hairnet.

"I dressed up just for you."

"You on your way to food prep?" she asked.

"Yeah, what about you?"

"I just finished, so you'll need this," taking off her hairnet and passing it to him.

He put it on his head, leaving a few strands out. If Clara was being honest, he looked really good like that.

"I've never wanted you more," she said half sarcastically, half truthfully.

"I wanted to ask you, um, if you wanted to come with me to the prom thing," he asked nervously.

Clara was taken aback.

"I'll save you a dance."

***

Allie, Becca and Clara were getting ready in her room. Clara hadn't talked to Kelly in days. Becca stood behind Clara curling her hair and pining pieces up into a half up half down do. 

"So Clara, who are you going with tonight," Allie asked.

"Uhm no one," she said nervously.

"Really, cause I saw you and Harry flirting yesterday."

Clara gulped. 

"Well him and Kelly split up and we were partners for fugitive but we weren't flirting," she said, lying through her teeth. 

"Anyway, we better get going, it's nearly 6."

***

Harry was sitting at his table, watching everyone dancing and enjoying themselves. Kelly was dancing with Will. Campbell came over and sat down.