[ ¢hapter 4 ]

Later that day, Grace laid in her bed. The room she shared with Minho, who she hasn't met yet, was small and simple with just two beds, a dresser and a mirror.

She was surprised when she first looked into it. Staring back at her, was a small, skinny girl. She had blond, almost golden hair. Her bright green iris stood out of her red and swollen eyes.

It felt so foreign, like nothing on her body belonged actually to her. She looked also pretty young, maybe 16 years at the most.

Her bed was right next to the window, so she could look out of it when she was laying on her side. The window had no glass inside. She closed her eyes and the smell of freshly cut grass filled her nose.

The Glade was actually a really beautiful place. Newt told her that it was separated into four sections: The Deadheads, the Homestead, the Gardens and the Blood house. He also told her that she would have to try all the different jobs over the next few days to find the one that fits the most to her.

When she opened her eyes again the sky had changed his colour from bright blue to a mix of red, lilac, orange and all colours one could imagine. She also could already see some stars shining through the last sunbeams, as the sun settled behind the walls.

Those ugly walls.

Tall and heavy, they stood there. Grace knew that behind those wall was a maze. A maze without an exit, as Newt told her. But a maze has always an exit, it has to.

A soft knock at the door got her attention. She sat up and faced the door which was now pushed open by Newt.

„The bonfire is about to start. You are the guest of honour, so we don't want to miss you." He said with his deep voice.

„I am coming." The girl said as Newt left the room.

Grace was definitely not in the mood for party today. Not just because she knew absolutely no one, but also because she knew that the boys would gawp at her, like she was from another planet. She rubbed her temple before she decided to give it chance.

The Gladers had already lighted up the large fire when Grace joined them. Some boys tried to make music by hammering their fists against some large metal pans or wooden boxes. For a short moment, they all looked like ordinary teenagers. They danced together, they joked witch each other, they seemed to be happy.

But reality hit her like a stone on the head when she heard some ear piercing noises coming from the maze. She flinched. Newt told her that the maze was changing at night but this was definitely not the sound of stones grinding against each other. It sounded more like a scream.

She looked around, but none of the boys seemed to care about this noises, so she decided to ignore it, at least for now.

She sat down on a wooden log and stared at the flames which climbed higher and higher into the dark, star sparkling sky. She got lost in her thoughts when she suddenly noticed a movement next to her. She turned her head to meet a pair of brown eyes.

„How do you like the party so far,
Greenbean?" Newt asked and took sip of his drink.

„I told you before, my name is Grace, not Greenie or Greenbean or Lady-Skank or whatever you called me before. And to answer your question, I think I am not much of the party-typ." She muttered back at him before she propped her elbows on her knees.

Newt rolled his eyes and looked into his jar before he gave it to the girl, but she just shook her head.

„Listen, Grace," He began to talk, emphasising her name. „I know this whole situation is frustrating for you, but do you remember how I told you about the different job earlier?"