[ ¢hapter 7 ]

The sun stood high on the bright blue sky.

Actually, Grace was supposed to work with Winston, the Keeper of the Slicer, but she refused to set a foot into the Bloodhouse until she was allowed to skip this job. Right now, she was working in the Gardens with Newt.

„Have you ever..." She asked once again.

„Tried it. We have tried everything you can think of. The only way out," He said and pointed to the walls. „Is probably through the shucking maze. But you little lady, will not find it because you will never run through the
maze."

She looked at him with wide eyes. How could he know about her wanting to be a Runner?

„How...." She began.

„Minho told me about your little argument. We actually make the trip to the window to stop the Greenies from running into the maze, not to inspire them." He said and Grace rolled her eyes.

„Listen, Grace," He began and looked her straight into her eyes. „I really appreciate your urge to help, but if you really want to be a help for me right now, you could go and collect some sticks to tie the smaller plants on. Would you do that?"

Grace let out a breath but stood up. Newt gave her a pleading look. She gasp and went for the Deadheads.

„They are totally underestimating me." She muttered to herself and kicked a stone aside.

She didn't know how long she was walking through the forest. It looked definitely smaller than it actually was and it had definitely more surprises than she had expected. A few minutes ago, she must have crossed the graveyard of the Glade.

It shocked her a little bit how many Glader have died here in three years and it made her wonder if they have all died because of the Grievers. At least, she didn't know how else to die in the Glade.

Maybe they looked at Gally's ugly face for too long or Chuck annoyed them to death. She chuckled slightly at that thought.

Somewhere in front of her snapped a twig, which caused her head to shoot up.

„Hello? Is someone there?" She called out.

No one answered. Of course.

Why would a murder answer her? Yes, hello. It's me. You probably don't know me but that doesn't matter because I will murder you now.

She chuckled again. Normally, she thought she would be scared but somehow she was in an adventurous mood. So she followed the noise. After a few minutes of walking deeper into the forest she reached the wall.

Her mind wandered to the window which was somewhere hidden under the thick ivy.

Carefully, she laid her hand on the wall. It felt cold and rough against her hand. Another snapp next to her caught her attention.

Quickly, she ran into the direction the sound came from. Her hand was still on the wall as she continued to ran, but suddenly she stopped.

She stood directly in front of the South door. Her heartbeat increased as she stepped closer. She knew that the South door was hidden by the forest which meant she had plenty of time to explore it.

She looked around the corner of the wall into the long corridor which was also covered with a thick layer of ivy. It looked inviting and dangerous at the same time.

She took another step forward.

If she would just ran to the end of the corridor to take a short look, no one  ever would know about that.