[ ¢hapter 6 ]

A Runner.

She wanted to be a Runner. She wanted to learn more about the maze and solve it.

She pushed her fork around her plate, deeply absorbed in her thoughts. Maybe she could ask Minho if he could train her. They shared at room, after all.

Chuck ripped her out of her thoughts.

The young boy had sat down beside her and was now talking about random things which the girl cared the less right now. They sat on a bench next to Frypan's kitchen. Actually, it was more a counter where one could get his food.

„Glade to Grace. Are you even
listening?" Chuck asked and waved his hand in front of her face. Grace snapped out of her thoughts.

„Ehhm...Yeah...Of course..." She said dry which seemed to be enough because Chuck began to talk again.

Her eyes were drawn to those giant walls. Her knees were bouncing up and down on the floor. A sudden impetus caused her to slam the fork down on the table and shot up from the bench. Chuck beside her stopped his monolog and looked confused.

„Sorry. I just want to....ehhm... I need time to...think." She stuttered an left the table without having touched her food once.

She passed the other tables as she suddenly slammed to the ground. She heard laughers around her.

„Ups, sorry beautiful girl." A boy she didn't know said in a creepy way and a shiver went down her spine.

She had tripped over his legs. She was about to stand up when a pair of legs stopped in front of her. Gally stood with crossed arms above her and smirked.

„Let me help you up, princess." He said sarcastically and held a hand out for her but Grace just slapped it away and stumbled back on her feet.

She definitely didn't want to fight Gally again, so she decided to ignore him.

„You know what, Girly?" He screamed after her. „I am going to make your day with the Builders a trip to hell for you! You will regret ignoring me like that."

She kept walking and didn't turn around. She knew that he was the Keeper of the Builders and she also feared the day she would have to work for him, but right now she couldn't care about Gally.

She walked straight to the giant hole in the wall. The maze was calling her. She knew it. Her gaze was so fixed on the wall that she didn't notice Newt coming up to her from the side. He reached the girl and placed his hand on her shoulder.

She flinched and glared at him.

„What?" She snapped.

It came out a lot harsher than she had expected, so she quickly added a soft „Sorry, what do you want?"

„I told you that you would try the different jobs today, at least one of them. You will work with Frypan in the kitchen today, but I am warning you, he doesn't like it when someone makes a mess there." Newt told amused and pushed her back the direction she came from.

„Yeah, right." She muttered and took a last glance over her shoulder into the maze.

To her surprise, she saw something at the end of the long corridor. At first, she thought it would be a Griever, but it was too small for that. It was the silhouette of a human. She stared at it over her shoulder. That someone didn't move, he was just standing there.

„T-There is someone in the maze." She mumbled, more to herself, but Newt had heard her and turned around.

„What? There is no one." He said confused as he turned back to the girl.