Chapter 23 (Edited)

I blinked, hearing Red's words play in my head. My whole body grew tense, and my breathing was kind of labored, because I knew that it meant that it didn't look pretty. "Have you called Renny?" I asked, talking about our local vet.

Red nodded his head, indicating that he had done so all ready. "She won't be able to get here until too late." He glanced at me, and I knew that he was wanting me to help with the foaling of this mare. He knew that I had the horse's trust to be in the stall with her, as well as the experience of helping out a mare give birth by myself.

I nodded my head, indicating that I would help deliver the foal. My body did relax slightly, because it meant that I didn't have to help serve food for the Andrews and family. "I have a bag of clothes in the office. Get them for me, and I'll meet you at stall or tack room, whichever you get to first."

Red nodded his head before he left the room, probably going to do what I had asked him to do. His whole stride was tense, and I knew that he was worried about both the mother and foal. Spot was his horse after all.

Dean's mother finally let go of my hand and looked at me. "How much work do you daily basis?" she asked, curious. She cocked her head, interested in what I had to say, which was pretty new to me.

I could feel Delilah's watchful gaze on my back, and I knew that I was going to have to do a half truth, even though I didn't like lying. "More than you know," I replied before I walked out of the room, ignoring Delilah's warning of me having to come back and take care of them and not taking care of the animals.

I knew that my duty was to the animals, so I paid her no heed. They, the animals, were my job because no else did it. Well, the group did, but I was talking about the whole family that lived in the main house. However, Anna was becoming quite the female to help out when needed....

***

I went into the barn and saw that Red was by the tack room door, a bag of clothing in his hands, as well as a pair of boots. A grim smile was on his face and I knew that he was worried about this foal and the mother. "Relax, we'll be able to handle it," I said, taking the bag and boots from him. "This isn't the first time we helped a mare foal."

Red nodded his head. "I'll stay out here while you change, Lass," he said.

I nodded and went into the tack room to change quickly before I made it out of the tack room, not caring that I didn't tie my boot strings. "All right, let's go." And with that, I walked to where the foal was, hoping that I would make it in time.

***

I walked into the stall where I saw a Palomino Overo mare laying on her side and heaving, trying to push her foal out but nothing came out, and she was getting stressed. "Easy," I cooed, seeing that she was startled of me going into the stall with her. "I'm not gonna hurt you, Girl."

I kneeled down beside her and rubbed her neck, humming softly. My whole body was relaxed while I assessed the situation and what I needed to do to help her out. "Hey, Colt?" I asked, knowing that he would answer right off the bat.

"Ya?" I heard him ask.

"Hand me over the gloves, lubricant, and some warm water. Also, hand me over the vet wrap so I can wrap up her tail."

"Righteo." WIth that, he moved around outside of the stall before he walked in, having his hands full of what I had needed. He didn't say a word to me while he placed the stuff down next to me. He moved to my side and took my position of staying beside her, while I got ready to help Spot and her foal.

I took a deep breath before I started to do what I needed to do. I made sure that her tail was wrapped up, and I had Colt check her pulse from time to time, knowing that it would be stressful on her, because this was her first time foaling.

I shook my head, making myself focus on the issue, before I pulled on a long glove and got some lubricant on my gloved arm. I had seen both of the foal's feet, but I knew that the head might be position backwards, which was not the best way to foal.

I kneeled down behind her and glanced at Colt who was positioned at her head. "I'm goin' in," I said before I placed my arm into the pelvic hole before feeling around for the nose.

After a couple of minutes, I found the nose of the foal and grinned, glad that it wasn't as hard as some of them had been.

By the time the hour struck 6, the foal was out of Spot and both were doing fine, according to Dr. Renny, who had gotten there after Spot had delivered the placenta.

I hadn't realized this until after the foaling of Destiny Hope, but Dean and his family, my step family, and all the workers were actually behind the stall door, watching me help give birth to the foal, which was a filly. Not a word was spoken between them, and I was actually surprised that Clarice didn't have a snide remark to add.

_______________________________________________________

A/N: So the foal was born. The foal's name is Destiny Hope and barn name is Hope. Sometimes, horses have two names. They have their show name, which is probably longer than their barn name, which is sometimes a part of their name.

Rissa