Chapter 8

Song - Alone by I Prevail
(Cato's pov)

I heard Clove screaming. I was standing by, looking for Peeta just in case he survived the leg wound and was looking out for Katniss.

"Cato! Cato!" Her cries are desperate. I start to panic. No no.

I run to the sound of her screams. "Clove! Clove!" I cry out.

I watch as Thresh grabs our districts bag and run away from Katniss. That prick. I freeze in my tracks for a millisecond when I see her body, limp on the ground. No! No!

I sprint toward her body. I crash down right near her, my knees digging into the soil beneath me. I hold her in my arms. She's gasping for breath. "Cato.." she gasps out. I hold her close in my chest, "You can't leave me, Clove. We need to go home together. Please don't leave me." I beg desperately.

I feel hot tears slide down my cheeks. "Don't leave me, Clove" I pull her away from my chest and see the blood gushing down her face. I look into her brown eyes, they are glazed over. She's gone.

I let the tears slip and I hold her close as I break down. Once I've calmed down it immediately reverts to anger. I clench my fists and stand up. I glance down once more at her. "It'll be okay, Clove." I say softly, surprised at the sadness in my voice and the slight voice crack as I say her name.

I look at her dead body grabbing my sword and running after the man responsible for her death.

(Peeta's pov)

I awake to.. surprisingly feeling better. Crazy Capitol medicine. I pull the syringe out of my arm before I see Katniss beside me. Blood all over her forehead and half her face. "Katniss. Shit." I say softly as I cup her face and look at her worriedly. I clean her face and make sure she's still breathing.

I can hear the thunder and more rain hitting the ground outside. I limp over to the entrance to fill the canteens. I look at her worriedly. "Please wake up. Katniss. I can't lose you. I told you not to go.. why would you go?" I look down and rub my forehead "don't leave me."

She awakes the next day. I think, it's been dark outside since I woke up.

"Katniss? Katniss can you hear me?" I ask, my voice dripping with concern.

She jolts up "Peeta."

"Hey" I whisper "good to see your eyes again" I say with a sigh of relief.

"How long have I been out?" She asks

"Not sure. I woke up yesterday evening and you were lying next to me in a very scary pool of blood." I reply with a shiver.

"I think it's stopped finally, but I wouldn't sit up. Let me take of you. Dr. Mellark is in the house- well.. cave" I chuckle. I hold a bottle up to her lips. I watch her drink thirstily.

"You're better" she gasps as she finishes her water.

I nod, "Much better. Whatever you shot in my arm did the trick." I smile. "By this morning, almost all the swelling is gone."

"Did you eat?" She asks.

"I'm sorry to say.. I ate three pieces of groosling. Before I realized, we might need it to last. Don't worry I'm back on a strict diet" I say sheepishly as I scratch the back of my neck, nervously.

"No, it's good. You need to eat. I'll go hunting soon" she says softly.

"Not too soon, all right? Let me take care of you." I feed her bites of groosling and raisins then I make her drink plenty of water like she did to me.