Chapter 9

Like I said I'm randomly posting songs that have no reason to be here lol cause why not.

Song - It's not over - Chris Daughtry

(Peeta's pov)

I was half awake when I felt small hands pressed up against my skin, I was thinking about 'waking up' and asking her what she was doing but I figured it was an accident, until I felt her small, slightly cold hands on my skin. I keep my eyes closed as she explores my chest. She mumbles something to herself before turning away. I blush furiously. Why? Why did she do that? It was out of nowhere. I try to force myself to go back to sleep. And eventually I was successful.

I woke up before Katniss. I look down at her and sigh. "I'll get you home, Katniss" I whisper before sliding out of the sleeping bag. I went to sort our rations, we have two pieces of groosling, a small mash of roots, and a handful of dried fruit.

The rain is pouring outside, the thunder roaring. I don't want Katniss to wake up but she must be hungry. So I make my way to her and gently shake her. "Katniss." I whisper.

I am finally met with her beautiful grey eyes as she wakes up. She stretches and I turn to grab the groosling, roots and most of the fruits "here. I know we should ration them. I split them evenly" I lie. I gave her more than I gave myself. She needs it. Plus it's the least I can do since she risked her life for mine.

She looks over at my small pile, I can barely call it that. "You sure? Yours looks smaller.." I look back at the small pile. "Yeah. I ate a little bit of my fruit" I lie.

She nods and tries to eat her food slowly, I try as well. But we both fail miserably. "Tomorrow is a hunting day" she says as she swallows down the roots with water.

"I won't be much help with that." I say disappointed, I'm more ashamed that I can't help as much. "I've never hunted before." I add.

She nods "I'll kill and you cook. Sound fair?" She asks. I nod. "You can always gather" I smile, at least I can help with something.

"I wish there was some sort of bread bush out there," I chuckle softly.

"The bread they sent me from District eleven was still warm." She sighs.

She pops a few leaves into her mouth then hands me a few leaves "here, chew these"

We start to talk about Thresh and Cato. I silently thank Thresh again for saving Katniss from Clove. Maybe she's right. Back in twelve we'd be friends. Then somehow it turns to talking about sponsors.

"Well, he probably used up a lot of resources helping me knock you" she says mischievously.

"Yeah.. about that" I say softly as I slowly move my hand on top of hers. "Don't try something like that again. Please."

"Or what?" She asks.

"Or... or..."

Dammit I can't think of anything to say. "Give me a minute."

"What's the problem?" She grins, seeming pretty smug about herself.

"The problem is we're both still alive. Which only reinforces the idea in your mind that you did the right thing."

"I did do the right thing" she says.

"No! Just don't, Katniss!" I grip her hand rather tightly. The anger rising in my voice before I can even try to calm down. "Don't die for me. It won't be doing me any favors. All right?" I ask her before I let go of her hand and whisper an apology.