Chapter 16

Song: Sick Little Games by All Time Low.

(I am trying to write better so if some parts get better. I am trying to work on my writing which has been terrible so far... it's been so monotone. I really want to fix it but first, I need to learn how to write better...😅)

(Gale's pov)

Around noon, I make sure Katniss goes to the Hob to trade while I traded with the Baker. She was confused but accepted. Once I got done trading with him. I immediately make my way to Victor's village.

I sneak around the back of Mellark's house and knock on the back door.

He greets me with a smile. God I hate Merchants.. I really don't want to be here. But it's for my family.

He lets me in and tells me to make myself at home while he grabs the fresh bread.

I look around the murky, dull looking house. It looks so grim, so unlike the youngest Mellark's personality.

He comes back in and hands me the two loaves of bread and bag of what looks like cookies. "One bread is has nuts and fruits, another is plain white, the cookies are chocolate chip." He says, his voice is so cheerful.

What is he playing? Why is he being so nice to me.? I know he's seen me go into Katniss' house. I beat him up, hurt him. What is this guy's game?

I clench my jaw and mutter a thank you. He takes the day old bread from me.

He looks at me. "Want this too?"

I nod. "Yeah.. I'll give it to my family. We'll save the fresh stuff.. and eat the stale now."

Peeta nods. "I'll get a darker bag for the fresh stuff. I don't want my family seeing it or the Peacekeepers." He leaves the room, a few minutes later he comes back with a black plastic bag. He places the fresh goods in the bag then hands it back to me.

I rub my eyes frustratingly. No. I don't want to be friends with him. He's forcing my best friend to love him. He watched her. He is a weirdo.. He just wants my guard down...

..Just this time. I'll be nice, he's helping me feed my family.

"I know your thinking that I'm a manipulative, disgusting, cripple right?" He speaks up suddenly in the silence.

I shake my head. "No.." Yes.

"Think what you want, Gale. I won't try to convince you different. Yes, I forced her into this whole fake love story.. But I want you to know... the whole thing was Haymitch's plan. I wanted to get Katniss out of the arena. He helped me by having me make her look desirable. She got sponsors, and Haymitch helped her during the entire thing. He never sent me one thing. Well she always was his favorite." I watch as he looks down at his prosthetic.

He takes a shaky breath but continues. "Want to know her reaction when I said that I loved her?" He looks at me, his usually light blue eyes go dark for a moment. The smile he had at the door is gone. "She shoved me down, then when I got up, she shoved me into a wall and yelled at me." He laughs, but it's not funny, it's hollow.

I smirk. Yup, sounds exactly like what Katniss would do in that situation.

This guy just wants some sympathy. I'm not giving this guy some pity, he did it to himself.