Chapter 1

(Peeta's pov)

I couldn't sleep. Not tonight. Tomorrow was the Reaping.

I'm just thankful for my dad. He soon won't have to worry about anything but sadly as the mistake of the family as my mom likes to call me, My oldest brother Bran is too old to be reaped, so he's safe. My 2nd oldest brother, Rye is almost too old. But he'll be in this years reaping. I love my brothers but I'm mostly worried for.. well.. a wonderful, selfless.. I could go on and on.. but I'm worried for her. And her sister. She already lost her father and I guess technically her mother since she has lost interest in everything after his death. She can't lose her sister.. or even when I hate to admit it. But she can't lose Gale either. If he gets reaped.. I may as well make myself useful for once and volunteer if he gets reaped. I'm sure they are dating. And well.. I am jealous but I am also a big wimp and can't even talk to her.

I'm so scared for her. The only time we actually had an interaction was when I threw her the burnt bread. Even then I was a wimp. I should have ran out to her. But I didn't. I still remember that day like it was yesterday. I burnt the bread but not too bad. Only a bit of the tips a bit on the bottom but not too bad. I remember getting hit in the back of the head by my mother's closed fist she yelled at me saying 'you worthless boy! We can't sell burnt bread! What the hell is wrong with you?! Feed it to the pigs and go make a fresh batch! You will not eat tonight!' She yells and pushes me toward the door. I sighed and looked up, seeing her. I stood there, looking at her. I threw her the bread then immediately ran inside. I remember getting hit with the rolling pin a couple times when I looked out the window at her. I remember my mother yelling and cursing at me but I was too busy watching her look confused before taking the bread and running off. Even then she looked beautiful.

I slipped out of bed, quickly looking to see if I woke up Rye. I sigh in relief as I see he's still asleep. I put my shoes on and slip out of our room. I walk downstairs careful not to wake my mother. I knew my father would be up trading with Katniss. They trade at night or closed hours for obvious reasons. The tall, pale, dark haired male that was always with her always glared at me when I snuck glances at Katniss. I would always look down and away.

I slip downstairs and peak around the corner into the kitchen. I see them.. my dad is always excited when she shoots it through the eye. Gale could never shoot like her. And my father and I both knew it.

He thanked her with a smile "thank you katniss. You don't know how much this means to us. My sons and I enjoy the meat you trade us. I know you must be scared cause of the reaping. Here take a couple of fresh cookies for you and your sister, you too Gale I have a fresh bag of cookies take them home to your mother and siblings. Please be safe" he said softly. I watched them take a couple of cookies before thanking him and leaving. I walked out and sighed heavily. "Thanks dad.. I know mom will be mad.. I'll stay up and make another batch.. I couldn't sleep anyways" I simply added so he'd understand that I won't be sleeping. He nodded "Son. One of these days you need to talk to her. I know your scared but.. don't let her go. You just have to wait.. give it time. Your a good kid, Peet.. I love you and your brothers so much. Please I hope you at least try to get some rest" he says with a soft smile.

I nod up to him "I will try dad.. I love you too. Go to bed. You have enough stress already" I say softly and hug him. I feel his arms wrap me in a warm hug. I always love his hugs. He pats my shoulder before he leaves up the stairs. I smile softly to myself as I get everything ready.

~~~~~~~~

I woke up on the couch, I must've passed out after decorating the cookies I made last night. I got up and went upstairs to get changed into my reaping clothes. They were my father's when he was my age. I wore a blue flannel and tan jeans. I combed my hair to the side so I'd look presentable as my mother calls it.