Chapter 13

Lunch period rolled around quickly, and I grabbed some food and made my way to a table outside. It was warm, but there was a nice breeze blowing, and I would be alone. I had no desire to sit by Jase, or any of his 'friends'. I bit into the hot sandwich as I made my way to the arena. Several of the upper-classmen were fighting, or training; it was interesting to watch. The stands were metal, but they were surprisingly cool in the heated air. I leaned my elbows onto my knees as I watched the fighting technique below me. Each group was taught by a certain level set, and I as studied them, it didn't take much to come to the conclusion that these people were entirely too predictable. Their swings, aim, dodging-it was fighting, sure, but it was planned, rehearsed. They would get nowhere if they ran into anyone with the same combat style as them. I shook my head at the thought of learning to fight like that; thank goodness I hadn't. I would probably be dead by now if I had.

        "You think you're smart?" A red-headed man-child had been following me since I left the cafeteria,, but I ignored him. He pushed his way through the group of boys he had brought with him, and stood, looking down at me. His upper lip curled. I tilted my head, considering the question.

I really don't have time for this.

        "It's not my fault you don't know how to handle your emotions when your pride is hurt. Being humbled is supposed to teach self-reflection, not idiocrasy." I stood as well, handed my sandwich wrapper to his friend, who took it in surprise. When he realized what he had done he tried to shove it back at me I turned away, grabbing my backpack.

        "That's it, you're asking for it. I don't like to hit girls, especially ones who-"

        "Give you haircuts?" I interrupted. He blinked at the sudden comeback, then his green eyes turned dark.        

        "That was you?" One of the members piped up. "But Asher told us-"

        "Quiet!" Asher snapped. I wanted to laugh, but I stifled it. I wasn't here to draw attention to myself or instigate fights. I faced away from him and started walking. 

        "You can run, but you can't hide," He called after me. I pretended to freeze, and then slowly turned to face him. A triumphant grin cased his face until he met my eyes.

        "My dear boy, I'm not running, and I'm certainly not hiding." I faked a bow and curtsy, and then jumped from the stands. Suddenly I froze, literally. My body was encased in a thick layer of ice, my feet glued to the ground. I could hear, I could blink, breath, and see, but I couldn't move.

        "What's that you were saying?" Asher jumped down behind me. I wasn't focused on him. I was focused on the tingling sensation up my spine.

        Not here, please, not here, I thought desperately. Why couldn't I have just kept my mouth shut and walked away?  Asher's face was hazy against the ice. He tapped on it, and the ringing echoed in my head.

        "It won't kill you, Kayla. But you might become a little chilly for a while." He suddenly tilted his head to the side.

"Was that the bell?" And then the group was moving away. Then I allowed the rush to encase me, willing the ice to shatter.

        There was a large crack as my tomb shattered like glass into a million pieces around me on the ground. There were so very many things I could do to that boy. I looked down at my fist and grit my teeth in annoyance, willing myself to look normal. The frosty blue faded, but my thoughts didn't. I needed to stay on task, keeping out of the way. I would not get caught up in childish games, not here. I shouldered my backpack and stalked to the doors, knowing that I needed these classes, and if I didn't take them I could never defeat whatever was after me, never escape this life of running.