Chapter 6

The sound of music slowly woke me; a lullaby, a song that mom used to sing to me when I was little, about storms. I looked around the medical room, and quickly realized that it was the same room Agent May had first treated me in for my side. There was a sheet draped over me, and I lifted it aside as I sat up, swinging my feet off the bed. I took a deep breath, and dropped to the floor.

        There was no one in the lobby, so I walked into a glass-encased viewing room. Using the touch-screen table beneath me, I used the cameras on the plane to locate where everyone was. Agent May was flying (no surprise there), Fitz and Simmons were in the labs, Mack was questioning M in the cell room, and Coulson was...

        I searched every camera angle and point-and there were a lot-but I couldn't find him. Tapping on a diagram of the plane, I noticed that there was a small section on the bottom of the plane that wasn't lit. When I pushed on it, a warning popped up on screen. 

        PROPER AUTHORIZATION REQUIRED

        Just then, I heard Coulson's voice around the corner. 

        "Tell Agent May to bank west. We need to reach American soil before the people who are with the man we have catch up to us." 

        "Yes, sir." Simmons was with him. 

        I was going to lean against the table and wait for them to round the bend, but something stopped me, and instead, I walked around it and ducked.

        "Sir?" 

        "Gemma."

        "Does she...that is, do we....know anything?"

        "That depends. What do you mean?"

        "Origin? Record? Birth Date? I mean, I don't even know her name!" This was obviously a conversation I wasn't supposed to hear.  I listened intently.

        "Her name is Kayla, Simmons. At least, that is what she's been told." That's what she's been told? 

        "Sir?" 

        "I have reason to believe I know who she is. Whose she is." Coulson's obsession with my parents is getting a bit ridiculous. Silence. 

        "And...?"

        "It's classified." Someone exhaled. 

"Right. Of course," Simmons said.

        "Do we have anything on the scepter?"

        "You mean other than the last time it was seen? Well, we have found traces of the Tesseract on it, but it seems like the scepter itself is a lot like the object S.H.E.I.L.D. had to deal with eighteen years ago. The readings from the alien technology suggest that the scepter does not care what the user intends to do with it. Instead, it decides whether or not they are 'worthy' to use it. Then, the user is free to do whatever they like with the scepter."

        "Like Thor's hammer. How ironic. It's safe?" 

        "Of course, Sir. Lower levels."

        "Good. Check on Fitz, see if he has a reading on those gloves."

        "Yes Sir."

        "I'll come with you. I want to find out what information Mack has gained from the man who calls himself M. Do you have anything on him?"

        "Actually, something very interesting. Body readings suggest that M is...well..."

      Simmons voice trailed off as their footsteps faded. I leaned against the podium. I was classified? I supposed that would have made sense, considering what kind of a life my mother led. I couldn't help but wonder what it took for a human being to be filed under SHEILD's "Classified" List. Of course, that also meant that I could try to find out what they had on me, but I was sure that it wasn't much. Mom was careful, protective over everything. She encrypted, encoded, and put up a thousand firewalls around all of our real information. Nobody could get into it-not even me.