Chapter 30

"Place all of your weapons on the table." The male before me spoke in such a tone that there was no room for an argument. Jace glanced at me.

"But-"

"Do it," I kept my eyes trained on the guy in front of us. We were standing in the middle of a home kitchen, having arrived at the destination I had set out for us. Jace had insisted that he come along, and for once I didn't argue.

"All of your weapons, Kayla." The blind boy didn't see the way others did. I sighed.

"It's nice to see you too, Ian." I removed the fifteen blades on my person, dumping them on the table, and for good faith included my tool bags. In the corner of my eye, Jase's eyes widened as the bags hit the table with a clink. Ian smiled.

"It's nice to see you alive and well," He said, relief in his voice. He rounded the table and reached out, shaking my hand.

"You haven't lost your ability, I see." I replied. 

"She's in the other-" Ian was cut off as the side door to the kitchen burst open.

"Emily!" Grace gave me a hug, and pulled back.

"Em-" Jase yelped as I stepped on his foot. Hard.

"It's so good to see you again! I was worried that you would never come to visit." Grace's voice lowered immediately after she saw Jase.

"Grace-this is my friend. It's probably better if-"

"I don't know his name," Grace looked me in the eyes, "I know how this works. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten. He's like the other boy that came with you last time, isn't he?"

"Somewhat." I could feel Jase's questioning gaze on me, but instead I pulled out the hard drive, "I need to ask you a favor. I wouldn't have come except...well, I couldn't break the code." Grace's eyes widened. She took the hard drive gingerly.

"The encryption must be enormous, and extensive. Even more so if you can't break it."

"It is." She nodded. 

"I'll do my best."

"Thank you."

"Oh, and you can have your stuff back now." She grinned at Ian, and then turned, walking back to her room. I didn't miss the slight blush on the boys cheeks.

"I'm going to go keep watch. Michael's supposed to be arriving soon," He headed out the door.

"Now what?" Jase look around the empty, old kitchen.

"Now we wait." I took a seat at the table. We sat in silence for a beat. He was tapping his foot, shifting his jaw; I knew I should have waited, but I didn't.

"What is it?" I asked, exasperated.

"It's just... for someone who supposedly laid low, you sure have a lot of connections to people." I shifted in my chair, looking away.

"I don't know much about how you lived your life, Kayla," He said softly, "But from the way you describe it I'm pretty sure that you almost never got to truly know anyone. Why are you friends with these people?" 

"They aren't friends, not really. They're people that I need. I'm not using them," I clarified, "They owe me favors. And I... Jase, I don't know how this will end." I looked up at the sandy-haired boy across from me, "But I don't want any debts owed to me, or me to anyone else. When this is over, no matter how it might end, I'm starting over. I'm leaving, and I will not look back." He looked away, anguish crossing his face for a split second.

"Kayla-" He took a deep breath, "I understand moving on. I do. But forgetting your past?"

"You didn't live it," I said harshly.