Chapter 15

This wasn't a maze of tunnels. I had been inside of mazes. Most of the time, if you placed your hand on the left wall of a maze, you could get out. This wasn't a maze.

        This was a Labyrinth.

        I hefted the bag on my shoulder and continued walking. Thoughts raced through my head as  tried to plot out what I would do next. Jase had seen me. He had seen me in my Jotun form.

        I was sure that Jane knew. No one could resist reading a secret file-especially about my case. I didn't blame her, and Coulson trusted her. Thor obviously knew, but I had first-hand seen what he could do. He could protect himself, and protect Jane, but their kids never needed to know. I wasn't worried that Jase couldn't keep a secret, I was worried about his safety. Really, he was a good fighter, but that battle in the arena was easily won once I caught his tells. If what was hunting me was as powerful as Thor had said it was-if it was powerful enough Loki himself needed the scepter for additional power-then it wasn't like Jase or I realistically stood a chance. It isn't emotional or symbolic in any way that I don't want him to die, I told myself. I don't want anyone to die. But the more Jase knew, the more he could tell if he was tortured.

        I had been in a hostage situation once, a couple years ago. They told me that I could tell them the truth and be set free, or I could die. It was then I learned the difference between a good man and a honest man. You see, they thought that as a young child, I wouldn't choose death. No kid in his right mind would choose death over being set free, but I knew what the catch was.

   "Death."

        He had balked at my blunt statement. "Why in the world would you choose that? You could just tell us the truth and get out of this mess."

        "Because I'm not stupid. I know what you're doing. You want me to choose when there is really no choice." The man had froze then, studying me a little bit closer. 

        "I gave you two choices, kid."

        "No, you didn't. Neither choice ends with me alive. I either die, or I tell you the truth, and then you kill me." I knew the difference then, and I knew it now.  A good man will make things simple; A honest man will make things real.

        I rounded a corner and stopped short at the site of the tunnel ending. A breeze blew gently past my face, and I crept towards the opening, only to find a dead end. Looking up, however, I could see the night sky. I placed my hands on the walls on either side of me. It was just large enough for me to brace myself against the sides and shimmy up. I exited the round hole to see grass. I peered out at first, not wanting to be taken by surprise. I was on an island, on of the ones I had seen crossing the bridge. Across the water, I could see Asgard, lit up against the black of night. The city glowed golden, and I could hear the faint sounds of singing even from here. The after-party for the arena must have still been going strong.

        My island was more a outcropping of rock held up by stars, but it had a few trees, and soft grass. Each side was a cliff, and I made sure not to get too close. I settled myself at the base of its only tree, watching the lights flicker in the city. I wasn't physically tired, despite having walked at least 12 miles worth of stone halls. I twirled my finger, letting the frost steam the air, forming shapes with the ice. I didn't make anything in particular, just messed around with my power.  Suddenly the frost took a form of its own. A face appeared, covered in wrinkles and scars. A form of a helmet sat on its head, bars over its mouth, but it could speak just fine. I scrambled back.

        "Surely the daughter of a traitor would be a nice price to pay..." It's voice sounding like wet gravel sliding together.

        "Who-how?" I demanded. "Go away!" I tried to control the image in front of me, and for a second, I had a grip on it. The vision blurred. But I although I felt okay physically, I was exhausted mentally, and a second later, it regained its power and appeared again.