Chapter Twenty Five

"Are you insane?"
Yes I am.
"It's not going to be you."
But it is....
"Warner. You're being an idiot!"
"NO I AM NOT!" I scream at whoever just called me an idiot. "HOW WOULD YOU FEEL! HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ADAM? HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF THAT WAS JAMES?! HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF IT WAS SARAH, SONYA!? HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF IT WAS CASTLE, KENJI?! HOW WOULD YOU FEEL!"
I realize that I'm standing, my fists clenched and my palms sweating. I'm screaming at the top of my lungs but I don't care. I keep screaming.
"YOU WOULD DO ANYTHING TO SAVE THEM. YOU WOULD DO ANYTHING TO SAVE THEM BECAUSE YOU LOVE THEM."
I realize later that this was the first time I ever confessed that I loved Juliette in front of everybody.
God I'm a jerk.
I take a deep breath and sit down. I can feel how hot my face is. I realize that I'm shaking, breathing so hard that air seems to be unreachable. I close my eyes and open them to see that everyone's staring at me.
"You don't like her, do you?" says Sarah.
"What the hell are you talking about?" I blurt back.
"You don't just like her. You love her. And it's real. I can see it in your eyes," she replies.
I move my gaze away from hers.
I feel a hand on my shoulder. I look up to see its Sarah.
"We'll get her back. We will. Don't worry," she says in almost a whisper.
I exhale deeply and close my eyes and let the murmur of voices surround me.

***

It's been half an hour and everyone still disagrees with me sacrificing myself.
Kenji stands up.
"Warner, hear me out here," he says.
I nod at him.
"If you die," he says in a disturbed manner. "What is the point of bringing Juliette back? You know that if she kills you, she'll never be able to live with herself. You know that, so it can't be you. So get that thought out of your head."
I blink so hard that it hurts.
"Well then who's it going to be!?" I say in a half shout. "We've been here for hours and we still don't have a single clue who's going to die."

As soon as the words leave my mouth, a quiet
desperate
but familiar voice
speaks from the back of the room.

"It has to be me," says Castle. "And I'm not fighting with anyone on this."