Chapter One

I woke up this morning to find out that Juliette wasn't beside me. I started to panic. I checked the time on my watch and it was 8:41 AM. She never wakes up this early unless there's an attack. And if there's an attack, she always wakes me.
It's been almost a year since we've taken the Reestablishment down. Rebels attack us a lot, sometimes in groups and sometimes alone. They're no problem for us to handle. Juliette usually stays up front to attack because she's invulnerable, and I stay behind to defend. I hate how she puts herself in danger like that, but there's no convincing her to do otherwise. Besides, there's nobody else whose skin could literally deflect bullets.
I start to think that maybe someone has kidnapped her. But how would they manage to without me noticing? And why wouldn't they take me? Besides, if anyone were to kidnap her, they would have to touch her bare skin. And if they came prepared not to, Juliette could defend herself pretty well. But where would she go without telling me?
I yank the covers off the bed and find that the place Juliette sleeps in is still fairly warm. That means she couldn't have been gone for too long. I go to the bathroom to wash my face before I grab some weapons and run, but I find the door to be locked. I press my ear to the door and hear nothing. No faucet is running, no light steps of anyone.
Juliette is in there, I know it.
But what if she's hurt?
What if she's dead?
I need to break the bathroom door open. I grab a rifle and slam the back of it to break the doorknob. I reach inside and unlock the door and open it.
My heart sinks.
I'm suddenly gasping for air.
Black spots are clouding my vision.
Not even a foot away, still fully clothed but on the ground lies an unconscious Juliette, a pool of blood forming around her head