𝟯𝟬 | 𝘁𝗼𝗴𝗲𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿

•✩•

•✩•

When a couple tells you that they've only been dating for a few months, you naturally assume that it's not serious. Without knowing their background or how long they've known each other, you judge them, form an opinion.

It was exactly what the real estate agent had done when Derek and Amari had walked in to look at an apartment for the both of them. They had been dating for coming up on seven months and after over a year of spending time with one another, they felt like they were ready.

Everything had been going smoothly, the realtor was happy with their positive reaction to the spacious rooms of the penthouse of the building. That is, until she asked them how long they were together for.

"Oh, just coming up on seven months." Derek replied happily, tightening his grip around Amari's waist.

Amari instantly saw something shift in her body language and her demeanor physically change. I mean, she knew it must have sounded a little weird, they'd only been in a relationship for seven months. But every couple moved at their own pace and after spending multiple nights over at each other's apartments, they finally decided it was time to spend every night with each other without worrying about running out of clothes.

"Oh. How lovely." The realtor smiled excessively. "And how did your parents react?"

"Well, my mom was thrilled with the idea." Amari replied.

Derek nodded, "So was mine."

Derek's mother had flown from Chicago on the same day Amari's mother was arriving from Greece. Somewhere around five months into their relationship was when they decided to tell their parents. Mrs Morgan was extremely happy her son had found someone to settle down with and Mrs Cirillo, while sad that her daughter wouldn't be moving back to Greece, loved Derek.

So when they phoned their mothers to tell them the news, they were overjoyed.

The couple walked around for a little while longer before they decided to leave, but not without letting the realtor know that they were very much interested in the place and wanted to put down an offer as soon as possible.

"Where to from here?" Amari asked as they both got into the car.

Derek grinned, "You're going to help me paint the walls of my most recent project."

Amari smiled, the last time she had helped Derek with one of his houses, she had hammered her thumb instead of the nail and never went back. In part, some of it was because of her unfortunate mishap, but most of it was because she didn't have time.

But they had the whole weekend free and had planned to fill it up with visiting prospect homes; which was going moderately well, so far.

They got the house Derek was restoring and got to work right away.