Chapter 14: My Husband Thing

"Are you seriously not going to talk to me?" I hear sulky Jay's voice from behind me as he trails after me into the detention room. "Are you seriously pinning all the blame on me, again?"

I whip my head around to look at him. "I cannot answer that because I'm giving you the silent treatment."

"Mm," Jay nods, acknowledging it, "I can tell, you're very good at it."

"I can't believe that I'm in detention again when I'm nearly twenty-four years old, and all because of my boyf--husband thing," I grumble aloud, making sure that he hears. "You got me into trouble."

"Firstly, I didn't get you into trouble, and secondly, we can change the husband thing to a stranger thing if you want," he suggests solemnly. "I can always go and meet someone else and—"

"I hate that idea," I cut him off with a quick kiss. I pull away to see him smiling knowingly at me. "I just want you to be better behaved."

"Yup," he agrees, admitting to his faults, "because I'm the one who's behaved terribly today."

I nod. "Exactly."

"Oh, get a room!" someone yaps loudly, interrupting us.

I spin around to see that it's the kid from earlier, the one that I sent to the detention room in the first place.

"We got one, so, get out!" I retort angrily and point to the door. "Get out!" I gesture for him to leave. When he doesn't move, I frown in fury. "No, seriously, get!" I point to the door again.

"But you're the one sent me here in the first place," he reminds me, lost. He can't tell if I'm being serious or not.

"I don't care. Go back to class. Take the window again if you want, just go," I shoo him out of the class, practically pushing him out.

I'm a merciful teacher. I mercied him.

I glance around at the other students sitting in the room. They're all looking at us. "That stupid kid exposed us as a couple to all these teens," I whisper to Jay and gesture to the nosy learners.

"Well," one guy begins to argue with me – all these kids do is argue with authority, "I'd say the kissing between you two exposed you as a couple..." he sees my face and stops talking, "but that's just me. I could be wrong," he concludes weakly.

I'd give the kid a talking to if my phone didn't just vibrate. I take it out of my bag to see that it's two messages from Laiken and one from Dylan.

'Law, why have you been ignoring all my messages, lately?' ~ WhiteBoy

'It's not classy.' ~ WhiteBoy

He's so dramatic. I ignored maybe twelve or so messages of his...that's not that bad.

'Hey. You get home okay?' ~ Sexy, hot manager dude

I reply to Dylan first...because...you know...priorities.

'Jay picked me up. Thanks, D.' ~ Legend Lawson

I type back to Laiken next:

'What do you want?!' ~ Legend Lawson

He replies back instantaneously:

'I've only been telling you what I want in the last 100 messages I've sent you!' ~ WhiteBoy

'I want to know how Zac is. He keeps just telling me that he's fine and I don't believe him.' ~ WhiteBoy

I really don't want to think about this now. I'm afraid for Zac. I'm afraid that the path he's headed down won't allow for U-turns.