Chapter 36: Adulting

"So," I glance over at Lan while waiting on Jay – he's in the shower, "are you staying or are you leaving when we go?"

He places an arm over Ben's stiff shoulders in response. "I think I'm going to hang with these guys for a while. Sarah wants me to try and broaden my friendship circle."

Does he even have enough friends to form a circle?

"Do we have a choice?" Max bravely asks him. "Do we have a choice in being your friend?"

Lan takes a moment to think about it and then shakes his head in reply. "No."

"Can I go home?" Max asks his next question.

Lan just shakes his head again. "I'll let you know when I'm ready for you to leave."

"Is...is uh...Grey busy...or something?" Benley gulps nervously.

"He's not here," Lan answers. "His car wasn't here when we arrived. I definitely wouldn't be hanging with you losers if he was here."

"Oh, yay," Ben feigns enthusiasm, hiding his dismay, "now you get to spend all of your time with us."

Lan looks back at me in confusion. "And we're sure he doesn't swing the other way and bat for the other team?"

"Yes, Lan," I confirm it for the billionth time. "He's not gay for you. He's getting married to a woman."

Lan holds his hands up apologetically. "Just checking."

Benley glares at him but doesn't bother standing up for himself. He's deemed Lan a lost cause.

Jay jogs down the stairs and over to us. I skim over his appearance. He's dressed in a plain white v-neck with a denim jacket rolled up at the sleeves. He's wearing black jeans and white sneakers. His hair is styled up in an attractive way.

He holds a hand out to me. "You ready?"

A wave of spearmint hits my senses. "You smell good." He smells fresh, and I love it. "And you look good," I compliment him.

Is he swapping out his leather jackets for denim jackets now? Either way, I'm a happy girl. 

He smiles down at me. "Thank you, Aqueela."

'Like gold,' Max mouths to me when Jay looks away.

I ignore him and place my hand in Jay's. "Let's go," I tell him, eager to leave.

Jay, being his polite self, turns to the others first. "See you guys later," he says his goodbyes.

"Have fun!" Laik cheers. "In fact, have too much fun."

"Yeah," Max agrees with him, "I'd still like to be an uncle to a little Jaybie with piercing blue eyes at some point or another. Sooner than later but better late than never."

My face drops in annoyance. "Max, would you let that go?"

As much as I love babies, I now agree with Jay. We're far from ready. I feel like I'm still a baby, sometimes. Adulting is just not for me.

"Jay deserves to get lucky," Lai adds, backing their statements up. "Can you do that for me, Aqueela? Can you do Jay and make him lucky?"

Before Jay can say anything, Landon looks at the three of them like they've lost it. "You're a weird bunch of guys. This is probably why we don't ever hang out."

"So, why start now?" Max jokes but I can tell that he means it.

Jay drags me out after him before we can get sucked into their drama. I swing our hands back and forth as we make our way to his car.