Chapter 33: Rays of Gold

After some more kissing, and more whining from the other three, Jay eventually led the way to the local park. He suggested that we all eat our breakfast together because he thought it will be cool to spend some time together before we all have to go our separate ways for the day.

The park is practically empty except for a few stragglers. I'm sitting on the jungle gym with Jay. We're watching the sun begin to rise as rays of gold scatter across the dark sky. It would feel memorable if Laik wasn't intentionally annoying everyone again:

"No, Sweetheart, no, Darling, my answer is no! Stop your begging! I don't want to go home with you!" He's resorted back to aimlessly hitting on strangers.

"She's not even looking at you, dude," Max tells him, the two of them chilling beside each other on the swings.

"You guys are going to make it!" Laiken hollers at another passing couple, ignoring Max.

I roll my eyes at the various retorts leaving his mouth:

"Lady, you ready to be wifed up?!"

"Slam, dunk, and nail?"

"You remind me of Saturn but you're missing a ring. I can give you one."

"You have to attend my wedding when I get married because the wedding can't be without the bride."

"I'll marry you tomorrow but let's honeymoon tonight!"

"Is he ever going to shut up?" I ask Jay with a sigh, swinging my legs back and forth through the air while holding onto the bar in front of me.

Like Mase, like Laik. They're friends, or were friends, for a reason – kings of the pick-up lines.

"He's serious about this marriage stuff, huh?" Jay asks in return. Finished eating, he scrunches his wrapper into a ball. He takes aim and throws it in the direction of a faraway trash can.

"He's tired of the single life," I reply, watching the ball go straight into the trash can.

Jay leans back and pretends to drop the mic.

He pats his chest and then lifts his hands in pride. I applaud for him. He's the most talented person I know.

Meanwhile, Laik continues on:

"Hey, you! Yes, you! Weren't we married in a previous life?"

"Hey, Mrs. Right, someone said you were looking for me."

"Wouldn't we look cute on a wedding cake together?"

"If nothing lasts forever, will you be my nothing?"

"Was that you just smiling at me or is the sun coming out?"

"The sun's coming out," I but in and gesture to the sun appearing on the horizon, laying down the facts for him.

He glares at me. "Shut up, Law! It was a rhetorical question."

I feel sorry for that poor woman. There isn't many awake at this hour; Lai's been throwing all those remarks at a single lady. Fortunately, she's too preoccupied with her phone to take note of him.

"Are you a piece of art? Because I'd like to nail you up on my wall!"

Grey, who I thought had fallen sleep on the slide, flings his eyes open in disgust. He picks up a small rock and throws it at Laiken. It hits him on the side of his head. I stifle my laughter and shoot Grey a thumbs-up.