Chapter 35: Striking

By the time I get home, I'm ready for bed. I've never worked a full day in my life, and let me tell you, it absolutely sucks. I hate it. Fortunately, Tim agreed to spare my friends -- they live to see another office day.

I kneel down to pat Slobber, surprised to find him on Grey's side. "Hey, buddy," I greet him, sitting down on the floor. I cross my legs and he doesn't hesitate to jump onto my lap. I hug him to my chest. "I missed you."

I feel awful whenever we have to leave him alone in the house. It doesn't happen often because I usually drop him off at his puppy day-care but still, there are times where he is alone. He needs a friend or a sibling or a girlfriend or whatever. I think we're ready for another furkid, at least.

"Slobber!" I hear Grey's voice from around the corner.

Slobber perks up and cocks his head to the side. His tail starts wagging even faster. He makes a move to run but I pull him back, wanting him to myself.

"Did Uncle Grey fetch you from our side? Has he been keeping you company? Is that why you love him so much?" I ask my baby, remembering that Grey looked after him for a while when both Jay and I were gone.

Grey rounds the corner and stops in front of me. His face falls when he spots me. "Oh, you're home."

I nod and release Slobber when he tries to wiggle out of my grip. "I am," I confirm, "and I'm hungry. Did you make me any food?"

Slobber sprints over to Grey and jumps up on his legs, begging to be picked up. Grey relents and scoops the furball up into his arms.

"No," he answers bluntly. "That was a one-time thing, Lawson. This is why I don't do favors for people; they start to expect it. I just got home. I'm not always going to be making you food. I'm not your housewife."

I pull myself up and pout at him. "But I'm starving."

"You're always starving," he reminds me but leads me over to the kitchen anyway. He puts Slobs down to check his fridge and cupboards. He throws me a packet of Ramen noodles. "Take it or leave it."

I love Ramen noodles, and I get the feeling that Grey somehow knows that.

"I'll take it!" I exclaim, satisfied. "Thank you. I love you. You're America's real sweetheart."

He sighs, annoyed. "I don't know why I didn't just let you starve."

I open the packet and start eating the noodles raw – my favorite way to eat it. "Me neither. You must really adore me."

He watches me, bewildered. "That's disgusting. Why raw?"

"Because it's good," I answer and break a piece off for him. "Taste?"

He shakes his head. "No," he refuses. He's about to leave when he finds himself lingering. He meets my curious gaze. "While I have you here, have you maybe...have you asked your uncle—"

"I called him the day we spoke," I cut him off, aware of what he wants to know. "He's been working on a plan to bust Leila out without anyone getting hurt," I reassure him. "Why? Is she okay?"

"She calls me when she can. She's fine but I just worry. I feel like we're running out of time. Eventually, something's going to give," he tells me, attempting to mask his concern but I see through him.

I reach out and cover his right hand with both of my hands. "I'll call him again and ask for an update," I promise him.

He searches my eyes before breaking his gaze. "Thanks." He pulls his hand from me. When things get awkward, he clears his throat. "By the way, you look gross today."