Chapter 44: Unpredictable

'Hey, Aqueela😊I was wondering if you could come over? I could really use your opinion on something? I would appreciate it so much.' ~ Hart of Gold

'I could use Jay and Grey's perspective too. Are you three free today?' ~ Hart of Gold

'Please don't stress if you're all busy. I know that it's short notice😅' ~ Hart of Gold

I show Jay the message.

"She doesn't reach out that frequently," he states the obvious. "I'm thinking that this is Lan related?"

I nod. "I'd agree."

That man is an enigma...

"I was actually going to suggest that you, Grey, and I go out anyway. I think Laik deserves some space with his family," Jay replies before sauntering off to go inform Grey of our new plans for the day.

'We're leaving in five👌' ~ Legend Lawson

'You guys rock🤗Thank you SO much!' ~ Hart of Gold

'What are friends for if not for showing up on short notice?' ~ Legend Lawson

'💜' ~ Hart of Gold

I approach the family and Mase, although he's pretty much Lai's brother at this point, and tell them that we're leaving for a bit.

"Already?" Mase asks, disappointed. "But I've hardly spoken to you guys."

"We'll make plans with you before you go," Jay assures him, he and Grey joining my side.

Mase nods in understanding. "I took some leave; I'll have time to hang at a later stage."

"Thank you for calling us and arranging this," Rita says, taking Jay's hands into her own. "We're so grateful. We would never have known. I know my son and he wouldn't have told us for a while."

"You're welcome," Jay smiles down at her before hugging her briefly.

Noah pats him on the back, grateful. "Good meeting you, Jay." He glances over at Grey. "And thank you for making us breakfast."

Grey just nods, keeping his distance.

Jay does his secret handshake with Susie, melting my heart, before he fist-bumps Laik. "Call me if you need anything, bud. We'll be here."

"Thanks, dude. Appreciate it," he replies before turning back to talk to his baby sister.

My heart hurts a little. Zac should be here...

Jay pulls on my hand when I don't move. "Let's go, 'Queels."

Grey grabs his car keys. "I'll drive."

"I can drive if you want?" I ask hopefully.

I imagine memories flickering through his brain. He scoffs and then laughs humorlessly. "Not a chance in hell, Lawson."

I shrug. "Wise choice."

*~*~*~**~*~*~*

"Thank you, guys, so much for coming," Sarah greets each of us with an affable hug that only Sarah Hart is capable of giving before inviting us inside. "I owe you all one."

Grey shakes his head. "You don't owe us anything, Sar," he says, taking the words right out of my mouth. "We're friends."

I nod, actually agreeing with him. "Friends never walk alone."