Chapter 19: My Wife Thing

It's early the next morning when we're summoned by the master of the house, and I can't help but get the feeling that we're in trouble...

"I know that you two are newly engaged, soulmates or whatever," Boss Man begins his boring lecture, having forced me and Jay to have a 'sit-down' with him, "and so very much in love and all that but you need limits or you're going to eventually hit a dry spell. You can't be at it all the time. You'll run out of stamina." He has really misunderstood the situation. "I mean, just yesterday morning, Aqueela was—"

"Angry undressing," I speak over him before he can make up his own version of the story. "I was only angry undressing, Dad."

Boss Man shrugs, not caring about my reasons or excuses. "Point being," he looks over at Jay for this next part, "I bet that I've seen your fiancée, half-naked, almost as much as you have."

I cringe, hearing what he's saying. "That's probably true."

"Is this an intervention?" Jay asks him calculatingly, remaining composed in spite of the annoyance flickering through his eyes. "Because it feels like it is."

"Greg..." I drawl, using his real name, hoping to clear the air, "you make sound points. We understand that this is your home and that we're only visitors. We're extremely grateful for your hospitality and we're planning to be out of your hair soon. Thank you for all that you've done for us. We love you and we appreciate you."

Greg stares at me in disbelief before slowly smiling, much to my and Jay's astonishment. "I knew that there was a reason that I liked you from the very start, Aqueela." He sighs to himself and shakes his head, remorseful. "I don't know what's going on with me. It was a long shift yesterday and I guess I'm just cranky and taking it out on you guys."

"No," I stop him before he can do that to himself, "don't do that, we're in the wrong and we're sorry. Granted, Jay started everything and is more in the wrong than me but I'm still the one who's most sorry."

"And are you also sorry that a bus drove straight over me after you first threw me under it?" Jay asks me with a frown on his face.

"No," I answer him immediately, causing his frown to deepen. "No, I'm not."

Jay turns to face Boss Man, a solemn expression on his face. "Aqueela willingly responded to my advances, so I'd like to think that we were equally involved as the other and that she's as much to blame as me, if not more for tempting me."

"Your bus hit me harder!" I complain and shoot my fiancé a deathly look. "You're the one with the one-track mind and you should be held accountable for it!"

"Well, sorry for loving you so much that reality gets away from me sometimes and that sometimes, I get a little carried away with my strong feelings for you, my future wife," Jay stresses the last word, retaliating with kindness – his usual go-to, and today, I'm not having it.

"Unforgiven!" I huff, hard-headed as usual, my hackles up. "Or not forgiven! Whatever. You guys know what I mean."

"I know how this works; I really don't need any more details," Boss Man interjects, growing impatient with us. "I just want it to stop."

He's going to be the reason we never have kids!

"Jay will try to stop but as you probably know, I'm irresistible so he might find it difficult," I reply in all sincerity.

Where's the lie?

Jay just shrugs, owning up to it. "She's not wrong."

"Alright," Boss Man stands up and dusts himself off, refusing to listen to us any longer, "let's wrap this intervention up. I think we're done here."