Chapter Seven: Interviews

The Mess Hall was getting quiet, people were growing tired and some even fell asleep on the floor. Claire sat back against the wall, she hugged her knees to her chest and watched the people around her. Women, children, men, all with fear and sadness in their eyes. The fear...the fear that mirrored in Nevah's eyes when Claire lost her hand, then lost her. 

Footsteps echoed in the hall, everyone's attention turned as the man from earlier stepped in and motioned to the room, two guards at his side, "Hello." Everyone watched as he spoke, "There is no need to panic. You are safe here. We will figure things out. I will figure things out. For now, I must speak with each of you, individually. Starting with..." Director Hansen scanned the room, his eyes landed on Claire, "...you." Claire took a deep breath, she sniffed and stood up, Hansen nodded, "Follow me."

Claire was lead by guards, they walked down a hall while Director Hansen followed behind. Claire thought it was weird, people in charge usually lead, not follow. One of the guards opened a door and let Claire step in first. The room was cold, metal walls, in the center was a wooden desk. An older one, thick feet, the chair behind it was tall and red. Hansen quickly made his way to sit in it, motioning for Claire to sit in the small wooden stool in front of the desk. Claire stepped toward it, she took a deep breath and sat down.

"Now, I have some questions." Director Hansen nodded, "First, your name?"

"Claire." She wiped her nose, "Claire Anderson."

The man started to write things down, he wasn't looking up at her anyone, he focused on the paper in front of him, "Age."

"Twenty-seven." She swallowed, something about this made her feel like she was being interrogated.

"And, what is your profession?" This was when he looked back up at her, locking eyes, Claire felt invaded by his stare.

"I'm...I'm an intern." Claire rubbed her hands together, the room was so cold. In fact, the entire room was cold.

Director Hansen nodded, "Ok, what kind?"

"Medical." She bit her lip.

"Medical?" Hansen seemed to perk up at this, "Tell me more."

 "I, uh...I'm a surgical intern." Claire sucked in air, "First year."

"Still," He nodded, "That's...useful."

Claire looked confused, she furrowed her brown and shook her head, "What?"

"You will work with Doctor Hines. He needs an assistant as...as his assigned one did not make it here in time." Hansen nodded.

"Wha..." Claire started.

"That's all. Take her to the bunk room." Director Hansen cut her off, which she was getting tired of that today. Before she could speak again she had hands on her shoulders and was being guided out of the room. 

Claire studied her surroundings as she was lead away. The halls were metal, the floors were metal, pipes ran along the walls. The stairs were braided metal, her foot steps echoed as they walked. At the bottom of the stairs the room opened up, it was large and bunk beds were spread along the walls. "What is this?"

"A bunk room." One of the guards spoke up, she could hear in his voice he was young, "We sleep here too. Just, pick an empty bed. It's yours. Doctor Hines will find you in the morning."

"Morning?" Claire turned to look at him, his brown eyes starred down at her, "How do you know what time it is down here?"

The guy shrugged, "A clock."

Claire relaxed, she nodded, "Of course you do."

"You can't leave, I'll be guarding the stairwell. More will come." The guard nodded.

"More will come?" Claire crossed her arms, "What? Is everyone being interrogated like that?"

"Interrogated? No. They're being interviewed." The man nodded again, Claire shook her head.

"If that's what you call it." She turned around and looked at the room, scanning the beds. Some had belongings on them, most didn't. Claire looked back, "Where is The Base floor?"

"The Base floor? It's the bottom level." The guard answered without a problem, "Why?"

"My friend is down there, I have to..." Claire started.

"You're not going anywhere." He cut her off, Claire's nostrils flared, "Everyone has a job, there is work to do." Claire sighed, she looked around again, eyes landing on a bunk at the far end of the room.

" Claire sighed, she looked around again, eyes landing on a bunk at the far end of the room