Chapter Fourteen: Compassion

Jake was instructed to accompany Claire to The Base Floor, to make sure she got there safe, or so Director Hansen said. Claire walked without speaking, she pressed her lips together in silence. 

"So, boyfriend? Brother?" Jake broke through the quiet. Claire didn't answer him, when he realized she wasn't going to he stopped asking questions. Once they reached The Base Floor door it slid open and Claire walked through, "Have a goodnight Claire."

Claire turned slightly, it wasn't his fault, he didn't deserve a cold shoulder, "Thanks Jake." Her reply made him smile, he nodded and began to walk back up the stairwell after the door slid shut. Claire let out a long breath, she felt the cold on her arms and she shivered a bit. Standing there for a long moment she had the sudden feeling of being locked up, of being a prisoner. 

Walking down the stairs she looked around, there was no one around, it was late after all. After walking down the hall she approached Lucas's door, she clenched her jacket in her hand and reached out to knock lightly. 

Inside Lucas was sitting at his desk, a piece of charcoal in his hand has he sketched an image of the museum, the empty tray set by his side with only crumbs on it. When the sound of a knock hit his ears he looked up at it, confused. Immediately he stood from his chair and walked over to the door, pressing the scanner for it to slide open. As soon as he saw Claire standing there, shivering and with a disturbed look on her face, he felt his heart speed up it's beating, suddenly concerned, "Claire?"

"I..." Claire swallowed, she took a deep breath and looked up at him, feeling a sense of relief when meeting his eyes, "I have nowhere else to go."

"Claire..." Lucas stepped forward and pulled her close to him, as soon as her head hit his chest she burst into tears. Everything seemed to be hitting her at once. The bombing, losing Nevah, feeling imprisoned in the only thing keeping her alive. Remembering the girl who cut her wrists, how she felt when Nevah's hand slipped from hers. Claire felt so cold, her tears and the touch of Lucas's hands on her back were the only warm thing she could feel. 

 With the door closed Claire sat on Lucas's bed, he knelt in front of her taking her hands in his own, almost like it was natural, like he had done it before. "Claire, what happened?"

"I tried to go back to the bunk room...just to grab my jacket, I was...I'm cold..." Claire sniffled, she tried to suck in air but it was shaky, Lucas squeezed her hands gently, "Hansen...I know it's seems silly, but he told me I couldn't stay there. I feel...trapped." 

Lucas watched her eyes, how she seemed scared, "Claire, you'll stay here. It's..."

"No it's not, it's not ok," Claire took a moment to breath, she closed her eyes and slowed her breathing, "It's not that...it's no that I couldn't stay there..." When she opened her eyes she looked at him, "I would much...much rather stay here." Claire looked down at her hands in his and started to feel warm again, "Everything just hit me..." 

Lucas nodded, "I don't think Hansen likes me much either," He rubbed her hands lightly, "So I understand how you're feeling

Lucas nodded, "I don't think Hansen likes me much either," He rubbed her hands lightly, "So I understand how you're feeling. It's only been a day since...everything happened. He's pushing for normalcy and that's not...not normal." Lucas looked up at her, "You're gonna stay here. You're not trapped here, ok?" Claire looked at him, she felt his sincerity and compassion. 

Claire nodded, she even smiled a little, "Ok."