Chapter Nine: Something

"So what do you do that got you into the bunk room instead of the mess hall?" Jake smiled over to Claire, who politely smiled back. 

Claire nodded, "Surgical intern." She shrugged, "Nothing crazy."

"Nothing crazy?" Jake chuckled, "That's a big deal. There is always use for a doctor."

"I guess," Claire clenched her jaw and looked over at him, "Are we close?"

"Door on the right," Jake pointed, "I'll be right here."

Claire nodded, making her way into the dimly lit room. Inside reminded her of the bathrooms at university. Dimly lit, beige stalls, small mirrors, and low hanging sinks. Claire sighed, there was only one way in and out. Walking over to the sink she pressed her hand on the porslin and looked up into the glass. The mirror was perfect, no finger prints or smudges, no human contact since they were put in. Claire sighed, turning around and walking into a stall she sat on the toilet seat. Claire thought about her brother, her father, where they were. If they were ok...if they were alive. After a deep breath she closed her eyes, letting her mind work. After a moment she opened her eyes and smirked, "Hey...Jake? Jake?"

Footsteps entered the room, "Uh, yeah?"

"Hey...I uh...need a tampon. Is there like a machine out there?" Claire called out to him.

Jake ran his hand through his hair, looking around the room, "No..."

"Ok, well can you like...find me one?" Claire took a deep breath, "Please?"

Jake stood there for a moment, "Right...listen, don't go anywhere, ok?"

"Where would you like me to go?" Claire chuckled, "I'm kind of...stuck here."

"Right," Jake nodded, "I'll be right back!" 

Claire listened as the footsteps got further and further away until she stood and opened the stall door. While keeping her eye out, she entered the hall, peering down the hall before quietly making her way toward the stairwell. 

Claire made it down their stairwell to the last floor, she looked around and was surprised there was no guards on this level. Looking around she looked confused, walking slowly toward the large metal door at the end of the hall. 

Lucas was sitting up in bed, he couldn't sleep. The dim floor lights from the hall peaked in through the crack in the door. The candle on the nightstand sat unlit, he didn't want to waste it. When the sound of the metal door creaking open hit his ears he perked up in defense, curious with who could be entering The Base floor at this hour. Getting to his feet he pulled on a hoodie and stepped out into the hall. 

Looking up toward the stairwell he smirked, seeing fiery red hair slip through the door and shutting it behind her. Claire sighed, pushing the door until she was sure it was shut. As she stepped back and turned around she froze, seeing the shadow of someone standing in the hallway below. Claire stepped back, "I uh..."

"Claire?" As the shadow stepped into the light and Lucas's face came into view, a smile spread across her face. 

Seeing something familiar, despite how new it was, made her relax immediately.  Claire hurried down the stairs and over toward Lucas, he was taken back a bit, but accepted her as she ran into his arms.

  Claire hurried down the stairs and over toward Lucas, he was taken back a bit, but accepted her as she ran into his arms

"Claire..." Lucas began, but it was her turn to interrupt someone today.

"No...I know...I just," Claire signed, Lucas felt her warm breath hit his neck making the hair on the back of his neck raise, "Give me a minute."

Lucas nodded slowly, he felt her red hair tickling his face, her smell was warm, familiar. Then it hit him, blood orange, whatever shampoo or lotion she used smelled like blood orange. It was different, Emily always smelled like lavender and honestly it wasn't his favorite, but this...this was something he could get use to. There was something about Claire, not just her scent, but her smile, her eyes, Lucas felt drawn to her. 

Someone cleared their throat, Lucas quickly opened his eyes and saw Keptner standing in the hall, arms crossed, near his bedroom door. Lucas stepped away from Claire, she turned and saw the man and immediately felt worried, "Oh...I'm so sorry," Claire shook her head, "I'll just..."

At the top of the stairs the door opened, Jake stood there with Director Hansen and the moment they locked eyes with Claire she felt her heart sink. "Lucas," Kept spoke low, but Director Hansen spoke out to them.

"Order is important," He put his hands on his hips, "Remember that."

Claire and Lucas watched as Hansen placed his hands on the metal door, Jake stepped forward, "She tricked me, she ran."

"That's enough Arwell," Hansen nodded, holding an arm out toward the young guard, "Claire Anderson clearly does not want to be in the bunk room. This is not a prison," Claire felt like Hansen was trying to prove a point, maybe he was, "Claire can stay here. I trust Keptner to keep an eye on you. I will let Doctor Hines know where you are in the morning." Claire looked over to Lucas, seeing his expression just as confused as her, "Goodnight to you all." Without another word  the large metal door shut once more.

Lucas turned to Keptner, "You did this," Kept took a step back into his room, "She's your responsibility now." He didn't let Lucas speak, he didn't even look at Claire, he simply stepped into his room and shut the door behind him. 

"Did I get you in trouble," Claire looked over at him, worried, "I'm so sorry...I..."

"No," Lucas shook his head, "No you didn't. I brought you here...I...I signed a contract. Bringing you in broke it."

"Lucas..." Claire crossed her arms, she didn't understand, "Why?"

"What?" Lucas smirked, but it was laced with worry, "Leave you up there? I couldn't do that."

"Why not?" Claire sucked in air.

Lucas crossed his arms over his chest as well, he shrugged, "I..." Lucas looked over at her, locking eyes with her own, "Because you smiled me..." Claire furrowed her brows, watching him speak, "You laughed with me," Lucas watched her green hues shift from his eyes, studying his, "Because there's just...something about you."

"What kind of something?" Claire asked.

Lucas smirked again, no worry laced in this one, "Why did you sneak away from the guards and run into my arms?"

Claire smiled, "Because...there's just something about you."