Chapter Thirteen: A Chill

Claire walked down the stairwell carrying the trays in her arms, she listened to her footsteps echo against the metal walls and wondered if she could ever get use to the cold and the sounds. As she stepped out into the 4th floor she looked up to read the door signs, there was so many floors, so many stairs. Once she turned and saw the sign for the living quarters she made her way toward the door and was surprised when it opened by motion sensor. After taking a moment she walked though looking down the hall to see it split off in two different directions. Claire swallowed, deciding to take the left hall. Walking down she heard the sound of power tools and smiled softly.

"Almost there," Hank tapped on the light that trailed along the floor, "Finally working, damn wires."

"You're better at electric than I am," Lucas smirked, leaning back against the wall, "Feels like we've been at this all day."

"You have," Claire's voice broke through the air, both Lucas and Hank looked up to see her standing in the hall holding two trays of food.

"If that's what I think it is, you're my new favorite person," Hank stood up and grinned, "Sure is, thanks sweetheart." Hank took the tray from her and looked back at Lucas, "Let's call it a night kid. Finish up in the morning."

"Sounds good," Lucas nodded, also getting to his feet, "Night Hank."

Hank nodded, "Thank again."

"No problem," Claire smiled, they watched as Hank disappeared around the corner. 

"You didn't have to," Lucas pointed to the tray in Claire's hand, "But...I'm not mad about it." He listened to his stomach growl. Claire grinned, holding the tray out to him. Lucas took it and looked down at the burger on his tray with a smile.

"Neither of you were at lunch, or dinner. It doesn't take a doctor to know you're hungry," Claire pushed her hands into the pocket of her jeans.

Lucas looked over at her and smiled, "But it did."

"Yeah, I guess so." She chuckled, "I'll uh, I want to get my jacket from the bunk room. It's surprisingly very cold in a giant metal...thing."

Lucas squeezed the tray lightly, "I'll come with you."

"No, you should go eat." She pointed down the hall, "I'll be fine."

"Ok, thank you again," He nodded, "I'll see you later?" Claire nodded, she watched as he walked away, but before he turned the corner he looked back at her and smile.

Claire made her way down toward the bunk room, but when she arrived she looked though the sliding doors, through the mall glass window and turned toward Jake who was standing there, "Is that the people from The Mess Hall?"

"Yes," He nodded, "The extra bed were enough to house most of them, the rest got blankets and are on the floor until the 4th Floor Living Quarters are ready."

"That's good, the beds were going to waste otherwise." She went to step toward the door but Jake put his arm out to stop her, she looked over at him, "What?"

"Where are you going?" Jake looked at her with confusion. 

Claire looked through the window, then back at Jake, "To my bunk...I left my jacket..."

"You don't have a bunk here anymore," Jake seemed nervous all of a sudden, Claire watched him begin to sweat, "You're...jacket is with Director Hansen, he took it when he gave your bunk away."

"Gave my bunk away?" Claire crossed her arms, "What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means, Ms. Anderson, what you no longer live in the bunk room." Claire turned to see Hansen standing near the stairwell, her jacket in his hand.

"What do you mean?" Claire was shocked, even a little scared, "Where am I suppose to go?"

Director Hansen held out her jacket, "Where you ran off to last night." Claire locked eyes with Hansen, "Isn't that what you would prefer?" Claire stood there for a moment, pondering what exactly Hansen was up to. Part of her wanted to believe that he was thinking about her desires and where she would want to be. After all, from the outside looking in when she snuck down to be with Lucas one would assume they were together. Claire felt something else was at play here though, there was more than compassion in the Director's eyes, something more. 

Claire wouldn't let him have the satisfaction, she crossed her arms and took a quick breath, "That's great."

"Really?" Hansen smiled, "Then it all works out."

Claire took a deep breath, she took her jacket from Hansen and pulled it close to her, wondering if her mind was going crazy.